MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #136
Soulcoffr
Got Wood.

I figured that might be the case, but every state is slightly different.

Last edited by Soulcoffr; 05-23-2013 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Soulcoffr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #137
ChetPunisher
On the road to being a farker

To be honest, that place COULD be anything, but if you go around the country and look at the successful BBQ joints, you will find they have NOTHING in common with any of the national chains. They are shacks, side store fronts and such. The building isn't what sells BBQ, it is the service and food. I had some of the best BBQ in a little side building at a flea market in Cumberland, KY call Fat Man's Paradise. I'll tell you what, I paid little to no attention to the crap on the walls and all my attention to the best Nine Bean side and some of the best conversation around. Go with your passion and let the people see it and taste it. That will bring people back every time.
ChetPunisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #138
Banjoe

Love the detailed plans. I've already picked out our table and looking forward to joining you for some serious BBQ.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #139
Utah Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetPunisher View Post
.....The building isn't what sells BBQ, it is the service and food.
It means everything to staying in business. Sure you will get the regulars no matter what, but what brings the final line into black is the drive by that notices a smoker and attractive outside. You don't have time to get discovered. 50% of all new food establishments go under the first year. Unless it's a BBQ
store....then it's closer to 75%. You have to hit the ground running and pull in that once it a life time drive by.
I used drive the country often and when I had the time I would stay off the freeways and visit local BBQ spots. I could always tell if the store would still be there on my next visit by their approach to marketing. They may have had the best Q in town but the clock ran out on them before they had time to be that "quoint" landmark BBQ shop.
The number one secret to any new business: "Put in as little as possible and pull out the same". Not having a $2000 a month bank loan payment for new equipment can be your saving grace. The ads are full of great commercial equipment going for pennies on the dollar. Use someone else's failure to build your success.
Good luck.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #140
Smokin J's
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

More power to you! I would love to start one myself (my good BBQ buddy and I talk about it all the time) but I guess I am just too risk adverse!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #141
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Great thread ~ Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am having dinner tonight with a CPA (wifes friend from USC who knows how to manage money) to see if starting my own biz pencils out. I'll be 50 next year and can retire early, although I'll be leaving a lot on the table if I do....which brings me to my question someone asked earlier. Do you have an exit strategy? If so, can you share it with us. I'm not sure I even know what it is, but I know I'd don't want to work foranother ten years...

Do you plan on being there 7/24? How far away do you live from there?

Do you plan on in installing video surveillance camaras? Seems like employees can really put a damper on your profits if things aren't monitored closely.

I'm sure you're busy. Good luck!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #142
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
It's in Niles, so if you ever went to South Bend or Mishawaka Indiana for something, you may have passed it since it's on US 12.
what is the address? do you have a website?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #143
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Where are the walk ins? Not seeing them in the schematics. Did you decide to remove them?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #144
Indy1204
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Mind my asking what type of smoker you'll be using?
Indy1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #145
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Lots of questions, and I'll address them. Spent all day at the place with the help of some family doing some demolition and maintaining the 1.5 or so acres that haven't been tended to all year. I'm beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
which brings me to my question someone asked earlier. Do you have an exit strategy? If so, can you share it with us. I'm not sure I even know what it is, but I know I'd don't want to work foranother ten years...

Do you plan on being there 7/24? How far away do you live from there?

Do you plan on in installing video surveillance camaras? Seems like employees can really put a damper on your profits if things aren't monitored closely.
As far as exit strategy, this is as much of a real estate play as it is a business. It's a good location for this area, and the price I was able to get it for was below market value. And besides a somewhat small mortgage, I'm not borrowing any other money to get the venture off the ground.

So, my exit strategy has a few options. Even if the business doesn't go gangbusters, if it at least made money and afforded me a modest salary, that's fine since I have a working spouse. So it isn't quite a do or die financial scenario. The second option would be to sell the place. With how much equity I put in with the down payment and the improvements I plan on making, even if the business doesn't flourish, I figure I could sell even for roughly what I paid for it and get most of that equity back. But before selling, my other exit option would be to lease it. The previous owners had two people begging to lease the building while it was under contract and they almost backed out of our deal since the bank was taking so long and wanted to lease it out. So there's probably some demand there. And I'm already a landlord with a rental house and love real estate, so I'd have no problem doing a commercial rental in addition to that.

As far as being there, one nice thing is I'm only about 7 miles away. Living out here in BFE, that's nothing, so that will be a bonus. And initially, we're only going to be open Thurs-Sun from 11-8 (or until it's gone). I plan on moving to a 6 or 7 day operation, but starting out I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. At 4 days, I'd have no problem putting in the 60-70 hours myself. But being open longer would certainly require finding management that that can be trusted, let alone employees. You mentioned surveillance, and I don't anticipate it at the start since I'll be there, but if it expands, then that would certainly be a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossepellets View Post
what is the address? do you have a website?
No real website yet other than having the domain and email setup, but we are on facebook for starters. https://www.facebook.com/PrizedPigBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Where are the walk ins? Not seeing them in the schematics. Did you decide to remove them?
I just omitted them from the floor plan since they are set in stone, unchangeable, and not part of anything that needs to be altered in upcoming construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1204 View Post
Mind my asking what type of smoker you'll be using?
I've been going back and forth between a Southern Pride and Ole Hickory, but I think after talking to both places this week I'm sold on Ole Hickory. I was really turned off by the customer service at Southern Pride, even though I know they are top-notch units. It felt like they just wanted to get me off the phone. They even tried arguing with me about what my inspector said about the ventilation. Ole Hickory was more than willing to chat, learn more about the business, my needs, delivery schedule, and work with me on pricing. And even though I've heard some people say they use more fuel than a comparable SP, I'll be glad to pay for it as long as I know I can get somebody on the phone when I need to that actually cares.

So right now the plan is a model SSM, which they can have delivered by early July.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #146
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm sure you will be very pleased with the Ole Hickory SSM. Great company that is a big supporter of Operation BBQ Relief.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #147
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Drove by your place today on the way to Sam's Club in Mishawaka. I use to stop there for breakfast quite often about 20 years ago when work took me down that way. It is a good location and I'm sure you will pack em in if the food and service are good.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #148
Sticky Fingers
Got rid of the matchlight.

Do you have an target opening date set? I'm very excited, I only live 7 min away from there. REGULAR.
Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #149
Rstevens

Thumbs up

I remember when that place was called "WILLIES" years ago. Can't wait to try it under your control . I only live a few miles away. That is a good location, I never saw the parking lot full under any other owners except Willie. I think your about to change that! BEST OF LUCK! I'LL be watching.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #150
gswaggart

Good luck!
gswaggart is offline   Reply With Quote