• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vintage Smokey Joe

NeoTrout

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Found this vintage SJ at an estate sale this last weekend. $8. It does not appear to be ever used at all. The only problem is that it was missing its legs. My guess is that it is from the early seventies. I have never seen the chocolate brown color. Anyone have an idea what year this is? Also where can I find some Vintage legs? Still, pretty cool. :cool:

SJ6_zpsadddb749.jpg

SJ5_zps70767864.jpg

SJ4_zps3022111b.jpg

SJ3_zps0d6f6360.jpg

SJ1_zps7751a9c7.jpg
[/IMG]

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Great find.

I'm guessing it was painted since the top vent is brown, not the typical stainless.

The ones with that style of handle and lower vents I have seen have been a black with gray speckle like the inside of your grill. So those two things lead me to think it's painted. But I'm not Weber expert, I could be wrong.

Good to know. The paint on the top vent seems odd and not on the bottom.

Although it was the 70's. :wink:

It definitely the original paint. Kind of a weird color, not like the copper mist brown. I dont think I would make a mini out of it. Gotta find some vintage legs though. Real early SJ had stick legs. Later turned to fold out wire tripod ones. One of those covers would be awesome.

Dang. I was just starting to tell you that it isn't a Weber because of that handle. :oops:

Another "I learn something new every day" moment.

Great find.

WOW! Great SCORE!
I think the only way you will find legs for that is to keep your eyes peeled for another old Smokey Joe.
My "A" SJ has legs that would fit it. Not sure when the legs changed though.
I see SJs of that vintage on CL every once in a while.

Nice thing about using that, or any, SJ as a mini-WSM is that you can just remove the tamale pot and your SJ is back to being an SJ.

Nice thing about using that, or any, SJ as a mini-WSM is that you can just remove the tamale pot and your SJ is back to being an SJ.

Exactly. Absolutely no alteration on any part of the SJ required for use as a mini-wsm.

as good a shape that this is in, i would not use it. its just a collectable to be looked at and enjoyed. i have a new old go anywhere that will never be used. just to be looked at and enjoyed. now i don't normaly follow this as most times i think everything should be used but i think there needs to be exceptions.

Back