Black Locust???

evilpsych

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well.. i think he might have brought me black locust instead of oak... this stuff safe to use for q? can't find any references to it.. he also brought me a load of good looking cherry too..

my first answer is going to be NO!!

At Bash I o r II. HoboPie brought us some wood.. he thought it was black locust, but wasnt sure. It was definatily a hardwood, light color inside similar to hickory, but the bark was deeply ridged, not like an oak or hickory that has more of an overlaping shale type bark. this was deep seperate ridges you can put your fingers into.

It was allready seasoned. We split it and heated it on top of the firebox to see how it smells. Splitting it was difficult. VERY HARD wood.(at least to split).

it was nasty stuff... It smelled like underwear. STUNK!!! Not something we wanted to put anywhere near our food. i tried it several times on other pieces, and it always stunk. Made good firewood, but nothing i wanted anywhere near food.

My advise would be to lay a split on the on the firwebox wood side down(not bark), and heat it for 30-40 mins, not burning, but just getting really hot. Smell it, see if it has a good, sweet, or nutty smell. If it does, then try it on something cheap and where your dinner doesnt depend on it working out. If it smells like underwear, its the stuff we had, and if it smells like something else nasty, let us know about it so no one else uses it. Either way, nasty stuff, save it for the fireplace.

BBQchef33 said:
it was nasty stuff... It smelled like underwear. STUNK!!!

Hey Phil, who's underwear?

No, I don't believe I'd use black locust wood either! The thought of it alone sounds nasty... plus, when it is fresh cut, I've seen a yellowish tint to the wood, like a resin or something. I'd steer clear of it.

anyone got a shot of exposed locust they would like to share? this stuff is hard to id from what he left me.

BBQchef33 said:
my first answer is going to be NO!!

It was allready seasoned. We split it and heated it on top of the firebox to see how it smells. Splitting it was difficult. VERY HARD wood.(at least to split).

Black locust is prized for fence posts because it is so hard and resistant to decay.

Growing up on the farm we found black locust to dull chain saw chains quickly.

And yes - they are a be-otch to split....to debark.....to hammer fence staples in to.....

based on the pics, the stuff i had was not the same, but based ont eh description:

The bark on a mature tree is a thick, light gray and deeply furrowed into long rough forking ridges.

It is on the logs I have.. I will see if i still have it.. I think i threw the logs into the woods.

I think your best test is the ole smell test, just heat it on the firebox, but sounds more and more to me like its a no-go.

racer_81 said:
Black locust is prized for fence posts because it is so hard and resistant to decay.

Growing up on the farm we found black locust to dull chain saw chains quickly.

And yes - they are a be-otch to split....to debark.....to hammer fence staples in to.....

Yep....what racer said. This is what comes to mind when I think of black locust. Even logs split into quarters (with sledgehammers and SEVERAL wedges) would last decades as fence posts. Hammering staples into green posts wasn't that bad, but if you tried it a few years later....like hammering into concrete.

rbinms33 said:
Yep....what racer said. This is what comes to mind when I think of black locust. Even logs split into quarters (with sledgehammers and SEVERAL wedges) would last decades as fence posts. Hammering staples into green posts wasn't that bad, but if you tried it a few years later....like hammering into concrete.

I have 4 acres of Black Locust if you want to burn it (but I won't) it does stink. The next go around with the forester will to be rid the area of it and plant Black Walnut.

Black Locust is also toxic to humans.

Wood Reaction Site Potency, Source Incidence
------------------- -------- ---------------- -------------
Black Locust I, N E, S +++, LB C

Reaction: Site: Source: Incidence:
-------------- -------------- ----------------- -----------------
I-irritant S-skin D-dust R-rare
S-sensitizer E- eyes LB-leaves,bark C-common
C-nasopharyngeal cancer R-respiratory W - wood U-uncommon
P-pheumonitis, alveolitis C-cardiac DT-direct toxin N-nausea, malaise

Back