Any technique tweeks when cooking just flats?

Big Darb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've only ever cooked whole briskets but when I was in Sam's this weekend I picked up a flat. I usually do packers on my UDS @225 about 90min/lb until about 190dF (of course I usually just use the probe for feel). Is there any different approach I should use for a flat?

I've only done a flat once (usually do the whole packer just like your self) and it was done faster. I cooked it at 275* for about 4 hours (wrapped after 3) untill probe tender. Best of luck and hope to see some pics!

I've only ever cooked whole briskets but when I was in Sam's this weekend I picked up a flat. I usually do packers on my UDS @225 about 90min/lb until about 190dF (of course I usually just use the probe for feel). Is there any different approach I should use for a flat?

There is no exact way, everybody has their own favorite temperature. I use 250 and wrap in foil after 4 hours for a 8-9 lb flat. Then I watch until the internal temperature to 190 and then use the probe insertion test.

When ready, I double wrap and rest for 45 minutes before slicing.

What would you say if I told you time and temp doesn't matter? It's done when your temp probe goes in like butter. I rub the flat and put it on the grill at about 225-250F pit temp. When the internal temp reaches about 165F, I foil it. Once again, I take it off when the probe goes like butter (anywhere between 190-210F.) After I take it off, I let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours then slice.

You may also want to consider the fat content of your flat vs. your typical packer. Most flats I've seen have been trimmed of most of the flat, so an injection of some sort may be warranted.

I've seen bacon strips used on top of a flat to help with drying out....

Here is how I do It.
Start your coals.
While they are coming up to temp, (250*) wipe the brisket, slather it with Worcestershire sauce, then apply rub. When the cooker is up to temp, put the brisket on fat side down. (This lets the fat act as a heat shield, and keeps the meat from drying out.) Smoke for about 3 hrs. to an internal temp of 160* - 165*, then either wrap in foil, or put in a foil pan , fat side up , and add liquid, then seal with foil. (this can be beef broth, or any mixture that you like. I use three Tablespoons. of Steve Raichlins's honey balsamic glaze, (Here is the link)

mihttp://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m/5330004152

mixed with 1/4 cup of strong coffee.
If you want you can now finish in a 250* oven, as there will be no more smoke getting into the meat. cook the meat to an internal temp of 190* - 195 *at the thickest part of the flat. When a probe goes into the meat with no resistance the meat is done. Remove from the oven, and let set for at least an hour, without opening the foil. Slice across the grain.
defat the juices and serve, on the side.

Most flats I've seen don't have very much fat left on them.....

Back