MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Default My UDS charcoal basket "breakthrough"

Since I've finally finished my UDS, I got the chance to test my theory for an "O" shaped fire basket (as mentioned in the mother thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...23436&page=534). I put a small roll of expanded steel in the middle of my basket. Did a top-down Minion Method burn. I know I'm not the first to try this. In fact, it may not even be the best method, but it seemed to pass the test (inspired by the "diffuser throwdown" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96581). I did biscuits today as I seasoned my drum to see how even the heat dispersed without using a diffuser. My goal was to have even heat without burning up fuel so fast like many do with a diffuser. The results:

Biscuits spread out to check for even heat

The bottoms show that the middle was a little hotter, but much more even than without the middle ring

This is after the biscuits had been in for about 30 min. as the temp climbed from 225 to 350. The roll of steel in the middle was really easy as I had a small piece of scrap that I just wire tied together and set in the basket.
enasnidx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I didn't know about that! I finished a UDS a few weeks ago and have noticed temp variations. That looks like a cool idea - I'm gonna try it! Thanks for posting. BTW I've done the biscuit test in my offset. One thing I learned is biscuits from a smoker taste like chit.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
BTW I've done the biscuit test in my offset. One thing I learned is biscuits from a smoker taste like chit.
Sooooo true. I let my 6 yr. old have one of the biscuits for a bedtime snack...
Let's just say they didn't pass his test. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the look on his face as he bit it and promptly threw it away.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hmmmm...I'm building a UDS for one of my sons right now. I ran across this idea as I was reading thru the UDS thread B4 starting my build and I certainly thought the idea has merit. After seeing your biscuit test I just mite give this
charcoal basket doughnut a try myself. After seeing the crap that Lowes sells for expanded wire I went by the local steel supply today and picked up 2 pieces (12"x 96") of 3/4" 9-11 for 12 dollars apiece so I have plenty to work with. Thanks for the post!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Midnight Smoke

There are many good ideas on the Fire Basket setup. One thing I have learned is the heat will take the path of least resistance. Meaning that the exhaust will effect the heat also.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice set up!!

I did similar experiments this week by placing an inverted SS bowl in the middle of the charcoal basket and pouring coals over that. My original intention was to use less charcoal for a small cook but that also seemed to tame all that direct heat at the center of the cooking grate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
One thing I have learned is the heat will take the path of least resistance. Meaning that the exhaust will effect the heat also.
That's true. If I can find another spare lid I'd like to experiment by drilling smaller exhaust vent holes around the perimeter of the lid and not use the daisy wheel. Perhaps the ventless loose fitting lids on ECB's are not a bad design after all....:)))

Last edited by Carbon; 07-30-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
bigabyte

Not such a bad dispersion of heat if you ask me. I wonder if it would be even more evenly spread with a diffuser on top of all that?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Xiadix
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

How did you light it? On one side, multiple sides?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
el_matt
Babbling Farker

"Just what you need, something else to build or modify!!"...My wife after I told her about this mod!!

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting idea. However, how did you spread the lit coals? More importantly, if you spread out lit coals in the exact same way without the center spacer would it not function the same? Also, how long was the UDS running before you put on the biscuits? I can see the coals burning nice and spread out at first but usually in a long burn the fire tends to wander. Definitely keep us updated on how this works out for you.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Interesting idea. However, how did you spread the lit coals?
I put about a dozen lit coals on top. There were essentially three groups of 4 coals spaced out.

Quote:
More importantly, if you spread out lit coals in the exact same way without the center spacer would it not function the same?
I think it would for a short period of time. However, once the unlit coals start to burn, the center will start to get even hotter.
Quote:
Also, how long was the UDS running before you put on the biscuits? I can see the coals burning nice and spread out at first but usually in a long burn the fire tends to wander. Definitely keep us updated on how this works out for you.
The barrel was slow to get up to temp (I suspect because the lit coals were so spread out). I had it burn for about an hour before it reached 225. Then I put the biscuits on for about 30 to 45 min. With three intakes open, the temp slowly climbed up to 275. During the last 10 min. the temp spiked to 350 (I'm guessing the fire had spread a bit more by then).

My next attempt will probably be with about 15-18 lit coals. I think this will help get the barrel up to temp faster and maybe avoid the sharp jump in temp. I'm doing two butts tomorrow morning so I will let you know!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
enasnidx
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Not such a bad dispersion of heat if you ask me. I wonder if it would be even more evenly spread with a diffuser on top of all that?
It probably would, but again, my goal was to avoid a diffuser as I've heard the barrel burns through a lot more fuel.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasnidx View Post
It probably would, but again, my goal was to avoid a diffuser as I've heard the barrel burns through a lot more fuel.
It does burn more fuel, it's only logical that it does. I'm not sure I'd call it "a lot more fuel." Whether you're willing to sacrifice burning more fuel to even out the heat is a situational decision.

It's easy to comprehend that it would take less fuel to heat a 9" diameter circle to 250 deg than it would to heat an 18" or even a 22" diameter circle to 250 degrees. There is more area to heat up with the larger circles.

Do you want a hot, small circle to cook in or do you want a large circle to cook in? The answer depends on what you're cooking.

If you're only cooking a single butt or a couple of fatties or some item that would basically fit into the smaller area, having no diffuser would be the most efficient way to go.

If you're cooking a large assortment of items such as 50 chicken wings, or 4 racks of ribs it could be easier to spread out your heat and bite the more fuel bullet, unless you want to keep rotating your items.

Mutiple diffusers seem the best option for me. Right now I have a 10" diameter diffuser and a 16" diffuser. The amount of food I'm cooking will decide which diffuser I choose. The larger diffuser will create a larger area with the even temperature cooking area and will require more fuel to keep that larger area hot.

Having the grate down below that allows the option of a diffuser of choice or even no diffuser seems best to me. Personally I'd prefer to not have to rotate the food I'm cooking. I prefer to keep the lid on and prevent temp changes.
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

C'mon, it's barbecue... a UDS, it's the simplicity that makes it great. Do we really need to over analyze every aspect of it?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
pman777
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
C'mon, it's barbecue... a UDS, it's the simplicity that makes it great. Do we really need to over analyze every aspect of it?
I respect your opinion.

In my opinion what makes it great is knowing I built it with minimal resources, it's efficiency and most of all, the quality of the food.

One man's "over analyze" is another man's toy.
pman777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charcoal basket, diffuser, uds diffuser