Food grade drum question...

N

nralover

Guys I finally got a food grade 55 gallon drum. The problem is that a Weber kettle lid won't fit it, and the lid it came with is a flimsy solid lid with no holes. What did I get, and what is the remedy? I want to build a UDS...

The lid will have to be "adjusted". You will have to flare out the ends to make it go over the drum, or at least I did. The flat lid can be used as well, just drill some holes in it and install a handle and you are good to go. My Buddies seem to work better with the flat lid (better air control)?

Just make sure you get the liner out of the barrel. That is the really fun part. I did a really hot burn and took it to get the liner sandblasted out. The guy did mine for $20 for the inside and outside of the drum.

Good luck on the drum and get some pics up when you getrdone! :thumb:

Try turning it over and see if the lid will fit good on the bottom of the drum. If so, you put the lid back on the top, flip it over and cut out the bottom. I have done that with a couple and it works really well.

Marty's tip would be my first suggestion as well, I have seen that work a couple times.

Someone on here posted another way while back. Attach a ring of steel around the top inside edge of the drum.:idea:

Back