UDS build soon and Mesquite questions

huaco

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So... I just found some nice solid lid (no ring) 55 gal drums. They held high-grade kerosene. I plan to fill with water so not to touch off fumes and then grind the outer ring of the rolled lid so as to keep the lid for use on the UDS. I will burn it out with mesquite to get rid of any kerosene left in it.

Also... I live (literally) across the road from a saw mill that mainly cuts mesquite. They told me I could get as much of the scrap I could fit into a pickup load for 10 or 20 bucks! The scrap they are talking about is the bark half-rounds they cut off the trunk to get a square log to mill. They have a good portion of "meat" wood left on them. The guys said he heats his house with mesquite all winter and it still burns real well. Do you guys think this "scrap" wood will be worth the trouble to even try to smoke with?

I know some folks just do not like the mesquite smoke on their meat but I am not asking for preference... I am purely asking about functionality of the wood being good for smoking.

Thanks

Free Wood Is Good Wood!!!
Cheap Wood Is Almost As Good!!!

That scrap wood will definitely work for smoking or grilling. All I recommend is that you allow the skeet to season properly. It's got LOTS of oil in it. Very much like pine has sap in it. Pecan is the same way also if cut at the wrong time. Mesquite will give off a heavier smoke, thus the stronger flavor it produces. It's the oil in it that can give off a black smoke, much like pine that is full of sap will give off a heavy black smoke as well. That's why folks use it sparingly when smoking, to reduce the amount of black smoke, but still get the flavor. The reason it's great for grilling is that once it has burned down a bit, it makes for super hot coals that are great for searing, burns long, and gives a great flavor/more mild when used properly in grilling.
I've used mesquite in the drum for smoking brisket. Brisket can handle a heavier smoke, but even then one or two fist size chunks is enough for me. Your tastes may vary though. I'd say that wood would work very well for smoking.
Not a bad deal either for 10 - 20 bucks for a truck load. I'd jump all over that to heat my house as well and to use in the drums from time to time. Worst case scenario............you have some great wood for the firepit and direct grilling.

Mesquite is great for beef. I use mesquite lump all the time. Just make sure it's well seasoned before using it for smoking. $10-$20 for a truck load will last a LONG TIME, nice score!!

Matt

I did some cooking with 100% mesquite on a uds and it was horrible. Charcoal and small chunks of what ever worked best for me!

I did some cooking with 100% mesquite on a uds and it was horrible. Charcoal and small chunks of what ever worked best for me!

This for me too. Im not a fan of mesquite at all even in small doses but that just my .02. Im sure there are others that like the results it provides for them.

Nope... not in Sanger. I am out not too far from the intersection of I-20 and US 281. West of the Metroplex.

I did not plan on TOTALLY using mesquite. I will heat with lump and just smoke witht the mesquite. I guess at that rate a truck load would make for years of smoking... haha!

For a that price, I'd get a truck load to use for smoking, all wood grilling, the fireplace, and the firepit outside. Can't go wrong with it. Especially if you can hand pick the nicer sized pieces. I say go for it.

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I will certainly stock up and cut to length for smoking chunks as well as fireplace lengths. Seems like my county stays under a burn-ban most of the year out here so the outdoor fire pit is probably not a viable option! haha! Don't know how I am going to "legally" do a burn-out on these barrels I'm getting.

You could use a weedburner. Still need to be careful with it. Whole state is bone dry right now. It would eliminate the need to burn it out with wood. Plus, weedburners are cool and fun to use.

Thanks for the replies guys... I think I will certainly stock up and cut to length for smoking chunks as well as fireplace lengths. Seems like my county stays under a burn-ban most of the year out here so the outdoor fire pit is probably not a viable option! haha! Don't know how I am going to "legally" do a burn-out on these barrels I'm getting.

Set a grill on top with cheap sausage. If any one complains, tell 'em you are new to BBQ-ing and not sure at what temps ya need to get sausage cooked.:becky:

I live here in Abilene and we are always under a burn ban. I live in the country south of town and I burned mine at night. Use old plywood to do the burn. That stuff burns hot as hell.

Back