MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
TOPS BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Holding Prime Rib

Christmas parties are coming up and I have a friend that will let me put together the menu. Anyhow, I would like to smoke some Prime Rib roasts for their party this year. My question is; Will I be killing (over cooking) the roast(s), if I hold it in my Cambro(s)?

I will probably slice just before they eat, but I need to make sure it doesn't overcook while holding. Suggestions?

Diamond Plate FAT 50 Ultra
200-Gal Barrel
55-Gal Horizontal offset
2 55-Gal Vertical Barrels
Bar-B-Chef Offset

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!
TOPS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Why don't you cook up a test one and let me taste it for you!?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i have done a few prime ribs in my day.

They dont hold well. Meaning they maintain a good heat load and continue to cook for a long time. I have watched 130* prime ribs turn well done in front of my eyes as I slice it.

If i was forced to hold it, i would pull at 120 and cool it. Then depending on size, reheat it to finish temps, or finish the slices on a grill. If its a large roast, like the 20lbers i do, after it cools, slice it in half, reason the ends and reheat it in the oven.

if none of this sounds good, pull it at 125. and dont cambro it immediately. Let it dump some of the heat load before holding, and keep a temp probe in there to monitor. I would rather pull it to rare and finish it on the grill(or under a broiler) than crush it from the start.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Seeing as how Count Poobah makes the best Prime Rib I have ever had, I'd go with his recommendations.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I held a 15lber boneless for a friend's birthday party a few weeks ago. Took off smoker @ 3:30, sliced around 4:45. I put it in the oven right before serving for 10 minutes, but the key was no cambro. The cambro is going to keep it cooking at 180 - 200 degrees. While wrapping it in foil and pan will let it mellow out. I pulled the beast off the smoker at about 120 degrees.