Buckboard "butt" Bacon question?

jgh1204 said:
Just deboned my butts, sliced in half, applied the cure, rolled them back up. They are now in the fridge curing. My question is, they are about 2 inches thick. I think I will cut the curing time back to 7 days since they say 10 days for 3 to 3.5 inches.
I really don't think this is rocket science here.
I have almost exactly the same "profile" curing in the frig--due to cook on Thursday at a full 10 days curing.
I will post when I am done (probably Friday to cool and cut) and let you know if 10 is the "magic" number :lol:
Kinda like wet aging beef or smoking temps--never felt like the product knew the difference of a week or so either way or a 10 degrees variation of temp--just start with the concept and go from there :lol:

Let Ya Know.

TIM

kapndsl said:
jgh1204 said:
Just deboned my butts, sliced in half, applied the cure, rolled them back up. They are now in the fridge curing. My question is, they are about 2 inches thick. I think I will cut the curing time back to 7 days since they say 10 days for 3 to 3.5 inches.
I really don't think this is rocket science here.
I have almost exactly the same "profile" curing in the frig--due to cook on Thursday at a full 10 days curing.
I will post when I am done (probably Friday to cool and cut) and let you know if 10 is the "magic" number :lol:
Kinda like wet aging beef or smoking temps--never felt like the product knew the difference of a week or so either way or a 10 degrees variation of temp--just start with the concept and go from there :lol:

Let Ya Know.

TIM
Quoting myself here--first sign of Old Zhimers :lol:
But, it is Thursday night and the "BB Bacon" is done.
Fantastic stuff :lol:

Followed the directions exactly except:
Could not "shut down the fire and let it cool" because a brisket is going! Pulled BBB from WSM after 4 hours at 220 degree (147 meat temp) and just coolered for an hour. Same basic process!
Put the two chunks in the freezer for 2.5 hours and sliced with powered meat slicer to 1/4" thick.

Yield was 5# + 1 oz for a final cost/ pound of $2.3127861..(rounded off, of course) :lol:

Cooked up a few slices--takes very little time to brown and finish.
TOO DIE FOR!
As stated in other places--not bacon, not ham, not Canadian Bacon--but a perfect mix of all--at least for me.

Curing time--10 days and I flipped the ZipLock every couple of days if I was in the cold frig anyway. Rinsed per directions.
Salty, but not overpowering at all.
Even Karen said--OK (with reservations).
Adjust curing time if ya want--your call.

Changes (lessons learned)???- gonna do 2 or 3 butts next time to justify the "slicer clean up" time :lol:
It freezes fine :lol:

My arsenal has just been expanded--new butts go in the cure in a day or 2--can't get too far behind!

No pics--It looked just like Midnights :lol:

TIM

Thanks for the link... gonna get mine in cure on Tuesday evening for a Saturday cook a week from this Saturday!

The first time I did mine, my wife took one ite and asked if I was sure this stuff was legal. I have to make it everytime daughter comes home from college. We can't hardly eat regular bacon any more.

Rick

Ok, here is a Do Not. Don't use Morton hickory flavored cure. At least don't go by their directions. I did an 8 pound butt. By Morton directions I rubbed it,cure 1 week,rub again,cure 1 week, rub again, cure a third week. Rinse in lukewarm water 1 hour (I did 2 hours,changing water once). Back in fridge 2 days, then low and slow to 140. Cooled, sliced, fried like bacon. The salt content here would float a barge. The cats won't even eat it!

Oh well. If I didn't screw something up once in awhile, I wouldn't appreciate the good stuff. It's tender quick and brown sugar next time.

Kevin

Three weeks of cure??? It seems to me that would have had a huge impact on the saltiness! I'm only doing ten days and I'm using Neil's plan of covering it with pure maple syrup, probably the last 3-4 days.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Three weeks of cure??? It seems to me that would have had a huge impact on the saltiness! I'm only doing ten days and I'm using Neil's plan of covering it with pure maple syrup, probably the last 3-4 days.

Yeh, I know that now :cry: . That's what I get for not researching properly BEFORE starting something new.

Kevin

Kevin said:
Jeff_in_KC said:

Yeh, I know that now :cry: . That's what I get for not researching properly BEFORE starting something new.

Kevin

Just goes to show you... never follow instructions on a product... always ask the Brethren first. Experts mod.

Just finished rubbing my butt... Thought I'd share that bit of information with y'all!

That seemed like a shitload of TenderQuick on that thing! I can imagine this being really salty! The only thing I don't get is the TenderQuick bag says to just leave the cure on for 24 hours! Oh well, guess I'll leave it on until next Monday, then rinse off and soak for 24 hours and a week from tonight, smear on pure maple syrup and some turbinado sugar, re-wrap and let sit in the fridge until Friday night and cook Friday night for breakfast on Saturday, the 6th.

Has anyone done peppered bacon? I just picked up another box of Hi mountain cure this weekend and I thought I might try some peppered bacon. How about any other type/ flavor of bacon besides maple and honey?

Not yet, planned on doing it with my next batch.

Merry Christmas to my neighbors (and myself!). Just finished butterflying 7 boneless butts and rubbing with 50%/50% Tenderquick / brown sugar mix. Wrapped in cellophane and put in zip lock bags. Stuck in the fridge for a week. Plan to smoke 'em next Saturday or Sunday and give to a few neighbors as a Christmas present and save some for Christmas in Michigan. The in-laws love the stuff!

Found boneless butts on sale for 99 cents / pound this week and stocked up for this! Will make for a pretty inexpensive yet impressive gift to give.

Merry Christmas to my neighbors (and myself!). Just finished butterflying 7 boneless butts and rubbing with 50%/50% Tenderquick / brown sugar mix. Wrapped in cellophane and put in zip lock bags. Stuck in the fridge for a week. Plan to smoke 'em next Saturday or Sunday and give to a few neighbors as a Christmas present and save some for Christmas in Michigan. The in-laws love the stuff!

Found boneless butts on sale for 99 cents / pound this week and stocked up for this! Will make for a pretty inexpensive yet impressive gift to give.

Hey Jeff, Do you give the butt whole and let them slice or do you slice for them. That is a great idea to give these.

A

Christmas in Michigan?

Bring some my way!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

JimT

Back