MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #31
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'm not sure about best, but this was pretty good.

Here are the easy-to-follow instructions:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1538088
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #32
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

If you need a sauce, a demi-glace red wine reduction will work wonderfully here.
Sweat some schallot and garlic in butter, add a full bottle or red wine of your choice, reduce by 1/2-2/3, add a couple TBS of demi-glace or some better than boullion, a few sliced mushrooms if you like and let simmer for a few more minutes until mushrooms are softened.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Wamp, thanks for posting the thread. I was at the grocer's yesterday and happened to run across a very nice looking whole tenderloin that happened to find it's way into my basket. OK, I'll admit I had a 20 dollar off coupon if I spent 200. Plus an additional three dollor off coupon if I spent 10 in the meat department. Well, the thing was JUST enough to bring me to the magic amount to use the soon to expire 20 dollar one and I just hate to not use those...

So now, I'll know how to cook it!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Im sure I will be the only one to say this but if you want to hit it out of the park

BEEF WELLINGTON

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...pe2/index.html

Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

Break out the butchers twine and tie it up nice. On the smoker I like my Tenderloin Brazilian style....EVOO and a heavy hit of course salt. Thats it.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
The plan for Christmas Eve dinner with Mrs. Wampus's family has to be a little different this year. Normally, I do a whole prime rib roast, but this year we don't have the time. We'll be attending mass together about 4:00 and I'll have to cook it up after mass.

SO......I was thinking whole beef tenderloin.
My local butcher has them for $7.99/lb (which seems like a pretty good price).
May even do TWO (depending on how many mouths I'll be feeding).

Early thoughts were just to make an herb and cracked peppercorn crust on it and do a reverse sear on the BGE. May even start it (them) on the UDS and sear on the Egg at the end (so I can get the egg SCREAMIN hot for the sear). Figured going until an IT of about 110-115 and then sear it so it ends up around 125-130 IT, rest and slice.

Thinking coriander seed, rosemary, whole (cracked) peppercorn, garlic, kosher salt to start with for the herb crust.

Just thought I'd get the Brethren's take on how they'd go about this.
Any ideas?
That's a nice cut ya got there, I definitely would not go crazy on seasonings or overthink it. Great quality ingredients shine with simple preparations. Olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper, and sea salt. You could grill it whole and if you have lots of people to feed run it through a slicer nice and thin after cooked.
Here is a video explaining how I grill whole tenderloins....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCDkQ8dAQQ

[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
joemat
Full Fledged Farker

Nice video Joe. We're you at the game yesterday?

It was a nice day for tailgating.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #38
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemat View Post
Nice video Joe. We're you at the game yesterday?

It was a nice day for tailgating.
Yup, we are at every home game. Yeah, 65 degrees 3 days before christmas in NY/NJ is crazy. We had 100 people, our smallest group this season but not a bad turnout considering the Jets level of play, a meaningless game vs another poor team nobody cares about, its proximity to christmas, and the threat of a day of rain.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
2 things.....

First, do you always part out the tenderloin like that?
I assumed I'd just take it out of the cryo and trim the fat off and cook it. Do you see an issue with this? Do you use all the parts to cook the same? Just the "big ones"? If you don't cook the "chain" and "small end tip", what do you do with them?

Thanks Wayne. As always.....GREAT advice.
You want to trim it so it cooks nice and evenly. The tip at the end can be folding back on itself to give you even thickness throughout.

If you ever went to a Not-top-shelf steakhouse and had a filet that had a chunk hanging on by fat and grizzle, that is an untrimmed filet. I think you get a much better product properly trimming it down.

Alton Brown did 2 episodes on tenderloin, and saved the chain to cook on a flat top to make cheese steaks.
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]