Cold Smoke Cheese ?

Yep. No problems if you do this.

^ +1 I do this as well, I vac-seal and then I let it mellow out for at least a week before I freeze it.

The duration of the smoke also depends on the type of wood, Hickory, Mesquite, and Pecan tend to impart a stronger smoke flavor where as Apple, Cherry, and Sugar Maple are a little milder.

I personally prefer to use apple on my cheese with a 4 hour smoke exposure. Occasionally I'll use cherry or pecan on aged Gouda or Asiago only because they are a stronger flavored cheese.

Follow up... I tend to smoke milder cheeses, so my shorter smoking times may be due to that.

I vacuum seal my smoked cheese, and after about a week, they have properly mellowed out.

BTW, they are great to take to holiday parties, and even give as gifts.

CD

I think freezing some cheese's changes the texture.

I had a white cheddar that I froze and when I thawed it out, it crumbled when I tried to cut it.

The softer cheeses seem to suck it up quicker and there is a lot variability between smokers. I , like Cowgirl (thank you Jeanie) have smokehouses that maybe require a longer exposure to the smoke. I may go 3-4 hours and then wrap the cheese in cellophane and let it settle in the fridge for 2 days. It is (IMO) not good right out of the smokehouse.

Thanks tried cream cheese- let that go for 2 1/2 hrs along with some pepper Jack The sharp cheddar, provolone, gouda, and an Irish Cheese all got about 4 hrs. All were wrapped in saran wrap, vac sucked and put in fridge Will try the cr cheese today

Thanks tried cream cheese- let that go for 2 1/2 hrs along with some pepper Jack The sharp cheddar, provolone, gouda, and an Irish Cheese all got about 4 hrs. All were wrapped in saran wrap, vac sucked and put in fridge Will try the cr cheese today

Let us know how the cream cheese turns out, I have never tried that. I have seen where others have smoked cream cheese and butter, something I need to try in the near future.

Don't be alarmed if the harder cheeses you try seem to be over-powering with smoke flavor. This is normal because the cheese has not had a chance to mellow. Give it a week or more and it'll taste great...

Back