• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First real smoker.....

I plan to fire the welder up before saturday. I have my self thinking about reverse flow now. Sure looks cool....

I plan to fire the welder up before saturday. I have my self thinking about reverse flow now. Sure looks cool....

I think that works better on the larger smokers? Tuning plates for yours.

I see, Maybe I will keep it simple. The Q turned out pretty good anyway. It's just a fuel hawg! I went through almost 20#'s of fuel for 4 hours.

Would burning strait wood cause to much smoke? Should I put a damped on the exhaust side at all?
No, so long as you have a small clean fire going that you don't have to choke down.

Straight Wood is how to cook with a cooker like that.. You would be wasting money just using charcoal because she is going to burn a lot of it. Splits of wood are ideal for Stickburning smokers. add a log every hour to 45 minutes after starting her with a chimney of coals.. and a couple logs..

Also you will find if you ever get a large smoker charcoal will not heat your chamber to cooking temps at all.. you need a small hot fire from wood to get her up to temp.

I know we discussed strait wood in this bad boy butttttttt. I'm trying differnt things, this Sunday funday we went minon.
cfdb607e2e972cc9682aad03410f6404.jpg

And I decided before I go welding I'm trying different approaches. I'm defiantly welding this door closed now!
4f5cc66a82b931a997e5b87daa74107c.jpg

Much to my surprise my son wants to get involved. This is the beginnings of a mushroom & Swiss stuffed naked fatty!
cef5208377033acc5a6d05aa6236ffa3.jpg

And all loaded up rolling and holding 250*
fbe8d19b45cb653b43e03b001d6b4454.jpg

Lookin good and gotta love the lil ones wanting to get involved

Well with that set up it rolled at 225-250 for 3.5 hours. Not bad. It's time to start modding though. Welder comes out this week, I'm thinking next weekend I may try for a looong smoke, pulled pork perhaps.

If you get a chance to do just wood for your cook, go for it. A small hot fire will give you the best tasting Q you've ever had.

I'm working on sum pure wood, I didn't want to commit to a large quantity until I was sure. I've also been stalking the pbc for a few weeks.

It's been awhile since I updated. Still fighting this thing I've extended the smoke stack 22" and starting to learn it quirks. But I think I'm ready to upgrade. Been looking for another good used unit but starting to feel like new is the only option. It may be awhile before I get much more saved up. I have 500 in my fun money and we have Christmas, taxes and my wife's quitting her job and staying home full time jan-1. Thinking real hard about the charbroil ok joe @ lowes or the old country wrangler from academy. Any thoughts?

i would take the old country over the ok joe as the old country already comes with upgrades that you would have to do to the ok joe and the old country is all welded as opposed to bolts.
i own the 1/4 in. thick old country brazos and would save a little and get it at $999.

Back