MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #151
Lowki
Full Fledged Farker

Good Luck, living the dream.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #152
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
Good Luck, living the dream.
Or nightmare depending on the day!

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #153
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Drove by your place today on the way to Sam's Club in Mishawaka. I use to stop there for breakfast quite often about 20 years ago when work took me down that way. It is a good location and I'm sure you will pack em in if the food and service are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstevens View Post
I remember when that place was called "WILLIES" years ago. Can't wait to try it under your control . I only live a few miles away. That is a good location, I never saw the parking lot full under any other owners except Willie. I think your about to change that! BEST OF LUCK! I'LL be watching.
Neil, Rstevens, yes, apparently Willie's was big back in the day. Willie's was before my time moving to the area, but it's been amazing how everyone I talk to around here when I tell them what place I bought they immediately get excited and bring up Willie's.

What kind of place was it back then? From what I gather it was a great late night stop after a night of drinking, or a good breakfast in the morning. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
Do you have an target opening date set? I'm very excited, I only live 7 min away from there. REGULAR.
Hey, nice to see another local. Small world when it comes to BBQ I guess. I'm hoping for a late July open, but I know how these things go and the delays there will probably be along the way, so realistically I'm thinking early August.

And just a quick update for anyone else following. It's been a long week trying to gut the place. Tore out a bunch of cabinets, shelving, hauled away unneeded kitchen equipment, removed all of the gutters on the outside of the building, patched up all the interior walls, etc. To say I'm sore would be an understatement.

But some good news, the health inspector got back to me this morning and he's awesome. I know the inspector before this guy started was a real tool and difficult to work with, but I think this guy is going to work out great. He isn't being a stickler and today said I can skip most of the lengthy plan review that's typically required before any real work can begin on the place since this place was already in good standing and that I'm not looking to change much. So, he went ahead and gave me the green light on any construction even before submitting the entire plan/drawings, let alone waiting to get them approved.

So, now I'm just waiting for the contractor to get back to me so that the real work can begin. Otherwise, on the docket next week is to get the exterior sign ordered and hopefully get the new stove/oven ordered (delivered?). And it might be a stretch, but also hope to have the large 3-door fridge sold and removed, and hopefully the buyer for the flat top still comes through and picks that up.

Slow and steady, but things are coming together.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #154
saucebag
Got Wood.

I'm new to the forum (hi everyone!) but just wanted to say congrats. What an awesome journey you've embarked upon.
saucebag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #155
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Or nightmare depending on the day!
Meh. You KNOW you're loving it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #156
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

wow this is great. I love in Dearborn but have kids in Chicago so I go your way once in a while

when you are open I will make a point to stop by!!
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #157
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
wow this is great. I love in Dearborn but have kids in Chicago so I go your way once in a while

when you are open I will make a point to stop by!!
Um, you're secrets out...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #158
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Um, you're secrets out...
oops

actually I dont love in Dearborn at all.

Cant wait to get the heck out of here.

Would rather be north in my cabin.

but thats another story for another thread

;)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #159
DJK
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I've been going back and forth between a Southern Pride and Ole Hickory, but I think after talking to both places this week I'm sold on Ole Hickory
My understanding is that in Texas, these are dirty words.

Are you counting on a less-savvy BBQ customer in Michigan, or... (and this is what I'm really interested in...) do you feel that gasser BBQ can match all-wood BBQ, if done properly? (Texans, IMO, can be excessively narrow-minded about their BBQ--saucing, etc--is that the case with gasser BBQ do you think, or is this a real short-cut with real consequences?)
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #160
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Seriously Jealous!!!! Since I lost my job the wife has been bugging me to open a pizza joint, My folks even called last week and told me to take a job at a pizza place for a few months and figure out how they run things then go open my own .. No no no too big of a risk for me.

It sounds like you have this completely thought out. If were ever up that way
I'll be sure to drop by for lunch!

Oh, Fark facebook get a website with the menu on it.
When we are traveling and I'm looking for places to eat if they have just a facebook page I keep looking. I just remembered our favorite pizza place here does not have a website and I think that's a bad idea. At the very least keep a up to date menu and prices on Yelp,urbanspoon etc...

Best of luck!!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #161
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
My understanding is that in Texas, these are dirty words.

Are you counting on a less-savvy BBQ customer in Michigan, or... (and this is what I'm really interested in...) do you feel that gasser BBQ can match all-wood BBQ, if done properly? (Texans, IMO, can be excessively narrow-minded about their BBQ--saucing, etc--is that the case with gasser BBQ do you think, or is this a real short-cut with real consequences?)
Dirty words they are, but this isn't Texas. Partly, it's because the BBQ up here is so far and few between, people aren't going to thumb their nose based on the cooker used, let alone even know the difference. Second, getting the HD to approve a custom pit, outdoor cooking, etc. hell, I've got better things to do with my time and would find another way to make money.

And a lot of it comes down to planning for the future. Teaching somebody how to cook BBQ is hard enough as it is, and when you factor in learning how to manage a fire, or multiple fires, 24 hours a day, that's hard enough for the owner to do, let alone try to find reliable people to replicate for you. Having a system in place that doesn't require as much training means you can replicate if needed, or at the very least, maintain consistent quality even without the savviest help.

Bottom line is I'm not trying to replicate BBQ at the Salt Lick, or any long standing institution down south. Clearly, different methods of cooking yield different results, and often can't even be replicated. But up here, it's largely a business proposition. There's a need for BBQ, and the goal is to turn out consistent product day after day, regardless of who's manning the pit. If people enjoy the food and keep coming back, and enough money is made to keep the doors open, that's all that matters. It's not about being the biggest, best, most authentic, etc. My brisket might be quite good, but I'll still tell people to go down to Austin and have Aaron Franklin's.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #162
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Have you considered an Oyler pit?
http://www.jrmanufacturing.com/brochures/OylerBar.pdf

Comparo thread on Oyler vs Ole Hickory: http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...c30f8b24091a41

Based on your above post the Ole Hickory may be better for your goal(s), but an Oyler is worth a look at least.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #163
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Dirty words they are, but this isn't Texas. Partly, it's because the BBQ up here is so far and few between, people aren't going to thumb their nose based on the cooker used, let alone even know the difference.
Have you been to this Michigan BBQ destination? http://www.lockhartsbbq.com/

Dont short sell yourself on what we Yankees know about bbq.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #164
landarc

Does that Lockhart's place even have a putmaster?

I'll just add, I would posit that when operated properly and with good flavor profiles and proper tenderness, most people, and I mean even those who think they are BBQ purists, would not be able to pick out BBQ cooked on a Southern Pride or Old Hickory from other, more acceptable, pits. Consistency and the ability to enjoy your day will matter more. If you can teach a couple of other people to run your cooker, you will love the business a whole lot more. If you are the only person who can consistently produce your food, then you are going to have a much harder time.

In fact, in the restaurant business in general, consistency of product and service is the number one thing you must have, people must be able to rely on you to provide a good product, and good service, every single time. Great food and great service are bonuses, reliability is the key.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #165
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Does that Lockhart's place even have a putmaster?
There you go with the golf again...