MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon
Default Foodsaver V3840.....Not having a good time

I bought this back in January and at best it was hit and miss and I waste bags. Well today I'm bagging up 10 quarts of Pulled Pork. I put some AJ in the first bag and I could see the liquid suck up. The bag sucked nice and tight and all was well. I check the drip tray and minimum of fluid. So onto bag 2 no AJ this time and the bag sucks tight. I repeat the same for bag 3 and perfect. Now onto bag 4-7. All fail. I cutoff the top and retry fail again. Take out both trays, clean dry wipe and fail again. I cannot repeat what happened with the first three bags. So fark it get out the ziplock bags. There pork in the freezer. Are these things THAT temperamental? Every time I tried a new bag the "dry" light was on and then during the vacuum cycle would switch over to "moist" and no liquid was coming out of the bag, drip trays were dry. So what am I doing wrong and after I take this back which one should I get that really works?
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
beercuer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
I bought this back in January and at best it was hit and miss and I waste bags. Well today I'm bagging up 10 quarts of Pulled Pork. I put some AJ in the first bag and I could see the liquid suck up. The bag sucked nice and tight and all was well. I check the drip tray and minimum of fluid. So onto bag 2 no AJ this time and the bag sucks tight. I repeat the same for bag 3 and perfect. Now onto bag 4-7. All fail. I cutoff the top and retry fail again. Take out both trays, clean dry wipe and fail again. I cannot repeat what happened with the first three bags. So fark it get out the ziplock bags. There pork in the freezer. Are these things THAT temperamental? Every time I tried a new bag the "dry" light was on and then during the vacuum cycle would switch over to "moist" and no liquid was coming out of the bag, drip trays were dry. So what am I doing wrong and after I take this back which one should I get that really works?
Amen, Brother-- I relate. If you check consumer reviews, FoodSavers, and all their competitors (eg. Rival) suffer notorious reputations. You did not do anything wrong, I'm betting.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Hdhillin
Full Fledged Farker

Check the rubber gasket that goes on the part you flip up to clean. If it has a tiny tear it will not suck out all the air. That happened to me, I had to order the gasket from them and replace it. Works great again after that.
Hdhillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

I checked the gasket and it fine. I sealed 3 bags perfect and then it went to Chit. I bet I have sealed maybe 30 bags with this thing and 10 of them failed. It was brand new in January and I don't even use it weekly, monthly maybe.
Kitchen stove

Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

You have to get the bag perfectly flat. The slightest wrinkle will cause the seal to fail. I put a cutting board in front of my sealer so that the bag is level with the sealer.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

the sealing area of the bag has to be dry also.

Try putting a layer of folded paper towel in the bag just below the sealing area to catch moisture as it gets sucked up the bag

If I am in doubt i will seal it again just above the first seal

Last edited by ButtBurner; 04-08-2013 at 06:49 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it has juices I double seal just to make sure. Just slip it out about a 1/4" and hit the seal button.

Mine is a horizontal though.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
frankH
On the road to being a farker

I find that it's important to have the exact same amount of bag hanging down into the drip tray. Too much and it won't pull a vacuum. That, and make the bags long enough that the food isn't right up against the sealer arm.

That, and keep the seals clean.
frankH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Wampus

I'm not sure if that model has a "seal" button or not. Some of the less expensive models don't and when doing really juicy or moist foods, this will be an issue.

I like mine because as soon as I see the liquid starting to move toward the seal strip, I just hit "SEAL" and it stops sucking and seals the bag. Less mess and less clean up that way.

As stated above.....if there IS a lot of moisture that gets through and you think it's compromised the seal, just wipe the liquid off the last inch and double seal to be sure.

I've also found that the cheaper bags/rolls give me more trouble than the actual "Food Saver" bags/rolls. I stopped trying to save $ by buying the cheaper rolls and stopped having as many issues.

Bottom line....I started off with a cheaper model FS. I burnt it up. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a higher end model and have been COMPLETELY happy with it's performance. And I bag a LOT of food quite often. Sometimes 30-50 bags at one sitting. Couldn't do that with the cheaper model or it would overheat.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

This is the top of the line and from all of the above comments is WAY to finicky. It does have the seal button. I use FS bags and also the one with the 2" white strip in it to soak up moisture before it hits the seal. As for insuring that the seal edge is dry... How do you do chili or stew. There is no way to get chili or stew into a bag and not get any on the upper inside of the bag. I suppose if you use a teaspoon to put it in it might work. I really think this thing is to difficult to use. From above, bag must be perfectly flat, edge must go all the way into the seal point, if the bag curls the seal will fail and on and on. The machine is on auto pilot so when you insert the bag it senses it and starts to suck. Well if the bag isn't in the correct position the vacuum fails. But like I said auto pilot you have no control on when the vacuum kicks in. So you got one shot to get it right or throw the bag away and start over. There has to be a better alternative, has to be.
Kitchen stove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Something like chili I partially freeze first.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
This is the top of the line and from all of the above comments is WAY to finicky. It does have the seal button. I use FS bags and also the one with the 2" white strip in it to soak up moisture before it hits the seal. As for insuring that the seal edge is dry... How do you do chili or stew. There is no way to get chili or stew into a bag and not get any on the upper inside of the bag. I suppose if you use a teaspoon to put it in it might work. I really think this thing is to difficult to use. From above, bag must be perfectly flat, edge must go all the way into the seal point, if the bag curls the seal will fail and on and on. The machine is on auto pilot so when you insert the bag it senses it and starts to suck. Well if the bag isn't in the correct position the vacuum fails. But like I said auto pilot you have no control on when the vacuum kicks in. So you got one shot to get it right or throw the bag away and start over. There has to be a better alternative, has to be.
the way I do chili or stew is to freeze it in a bowl. Then vac seal the whole thing, bowl and all.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Freeze, now were getting somewhere. Thanks guys.
Kitchen stove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Why is all of this good information NOT in the BOOK!
Kitchen stove

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
Wampus

Guess I should have looked up that model before I commented. I sure looks like a nicer model.

I've vacuum sealed chili before without freezing, I just had to make sure that the lip of the bag never got "chili'd". My model, though, is a flat model (Silver) so I don't know if that's different than how yours works.