MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Loin back vs untrimmed spare ribs

I've always cooked untrimmed spares, but I ran across too good of a deal on loin backs. I cook on a Weber kettle indirect, using a dry rub and no foil. My usual cook is at 250 degrees for about 4+ hours. Any tips on times would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

I square cut my full spare racks. I freeze the tips and when I get enough, make them as a whole meal.
Loin backs take about 1/4 less time to cook than spares.
I cook spares at 275F for about 4 hours, baby backs about 3 hours.
Times will vary depending on the size of the ribs.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

My wife prefers the loin back. I got a rack on the barrel now. I cook them same as spares, just less time.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I cook loin backs, St. louis trimmed spares and untrimmed spares. They are all good :)

As mentioned, loin backs will take less time. I look for racks that are 2.5 - 3 lbs. For me they take 4 1/2 hours or so at 260 - 270.

Are you really getting untrimmed spares done in 4 hours at 250? They must be small racks. The smallest untrimmed spares I can find around here are at least 4.5 lbs.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
landarc

I agree with Ron_L on all points.

I find at least one hour less than St Louis and 2 hours less than full spares with flap is a rough time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I cook loin backs, St. louis trimmed spares and untrimmed spares. They are all good :)

As mentioned, loin backs will take less time. I look for racks that are 2.5 - 3 lbs. For me they take 4 1/2 hours or so at 260 - 270.

Are you really getting untrimmed spares done in 4 hours at 250? They must be small racks. The smallest untrimmed spares I can find around here are at least 4.5 lbs.
I try to buy as small a rack as I can. Four hours is when I check- they are done when they are done. Always done by 5 hours, I like them firm. Also, I am using a kettle and measuring the temp through the vent using a 12 inch turkey thermometer.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I agree with Ron_L on all points.

I find at least one hour less than St Louis and 2 hours less than full spares with flap is a rough time.
Thank you, oh Kettlemaster.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
dadsr4

Finally cooked the loin backs. Took 5 hours at 225 degrees. The texture was fine but I can see why people go to such trouble to add flavor to them, the meat is somewhat lean and flavorless. Still tasted good, though. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Finally cooked the loin backs. Took 5 hours at 225 degrees. The texture was fine but I can see why people go to such trouble to add flavor to them, the meat is somewhat lean and flavorless. Still tasted good, though. Thanks again for the advice.
The leanness is to be expected, all high-on-the-hog cuts are lean. Flavor and fat go hand in hand, less of one is less of the other. All that said, because of the leanness you can cook them at higher pit temps (you are not rendering as much fat as you would from belly ribs). This is the reason they are popular in restaurants, and with cooks that want an easier cook, or when guests let you know in advance they want saucy fall-off-the-bone ribs.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote