MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Your best (somewhat detailed) pulled/chopped pork recipe

I just picked up a picnic roast for 1.70 a lb and have never made pulled pork (crazy, right). I have most of the plowboys and Simply marvelous rubs and a 3eyz one that I can use. I already searched the forum and found a lot of great pron, but not a lot of recipes. Can anyone give me a link to a solid recipe with a decent amount of detail? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Rinse the butt in cold wate,r pat dry, bring the pit to 300 deg
Apply a rub of Kosher salt
Place the butt on the pit maintain temp until the bone wiggles loose, Wrap in foil rest min 1 hr,
Pull, salt to taste and some E. NC Pig Juice.
Serve on Cheap white buns with coleslaw.

E. NC PIG JUICE

Ingredients
1 quart cider vinegar
1/8 cup salt
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon milled black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
1/2-3/4 cup light brown sugar, depending on taste
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

mix it up let it set gets better as it ages

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
SmokinCW
On the road to being a farker

I would pick your favorite rub and coat the meat generously. If you have time wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a few hours, overnight is great if possible. If you don't have time you can rub just before cooking. Get your smoker up to 200 - 225 and place meat fat side up. Cook for about 1.5 hours per pound. Use a meat thermometer. Cook until meat is 195. Wrap in double layer of foil then a couple towels and place in an ice chest for at least 1 hour. It should pull apart easily. I would then pour about a cup of North Carolina vinegar based sauce over shredded meat. Steve Raichlen has good sauce recipe on his site. Add your favorite slaw and it should be great.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

pulled pork is easy...coat in your favorite rub (store bought or homemade), cook indirect anywhere from 225 - 325° (I usually do mine around 250 - 275°) with whatever wood you like for smoke (everybody has their own preference...I like cherry). Start checking around 190° IT or so, and once the bone wiggles easily, or it probes like butter, double wrap in foil, then a towel, and rest in a cooler for 1-4 hours, then pull.
nothing to it, and always turns out great. enjoy, and post some pr0n when you're done!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Pulled or chopped?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
landarc

You said picnic roast, so first off, if the skin is on, I would peel it off, trim off the fat under the skin to no more than 1/8" or so. My favorite rub for pork is to mix Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy with about 25% medium gring black pepper and coat the entire thing. Let it sit for an hour. Meanwhile, I fire my UDS or Kettle to 225F, with the vents set to reach 275F or so. I put the meat on at 225F, close it up and let the cooker run, after a couple of hours, it will be 275F or a little higher, let it go.

If you have a put thermo, use it as a guideline, when it gets to 185F to 19oF internal temperature, I will probe it, usually it is not quite done, the probe meets resistance. Once the probe goes in easily, I will grab a piece and pull, if it comes from the shank easily, then I figure it is done. Wrap in foil, cooler rest for 2 hours. Pull.

I like to take the foil drippings, defat them using a separator, then mix with equal part of vinegar. Then dump that into and equal part of BBQ sauce. Shake it up, serve in a squirt bottle. My pork tastes good just like that.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Google "renowned mr brown" that rub has never let me down. I rub 24 hours prior to smoke and put a fresh does before it goes in the smoker. I thrown the meat on cold (i understand it absorbs more smoke) then 225-250 degrees with combination of Hickory and Cherry wood. I try to smoke for 6 hours, then I don't worry about the smoke wood.

My sauce is basically a half gallon of vinegar with black pepper, salt, crushed red pepper and a little bit of sugar 3:2:2:1 ratio on the spice. I also like to make the sauce a few days ahead to let the flavors extract.
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

This is a recent pork picnic I did.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...20#post2326720

My pork rub:
8 parts splenda
2 parts chili powder
2 parts paprika
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/2 part salt
1/2 part black pepper

Good luck!

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Bbq Bubba

Lol. Chopped is for those southern guys who don't know how to make proper pulled.

Bluedawg gave a GREAT recipe.

You'll get a dozen different answers but....

fire up smoker. Rub butt and place fat side DOWN on smoker. smoke at 250ish until the bone slides loose. dont look. dont screw around. let the smoker make its magic.

Enjoy.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013

Last edited by Bbq Bubba; 03-23-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Pulled or chopped?
Let the meat decide. I have found that with picnics some portions of it will pull effortlessly, these I pull, while others muscle groups will have less give, these I tend to chop.

My suggestion is to pull some and chop some and see which you prefer.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Lol. Chopped is for those southern guys who don't know how to make proper pulled.

Bluedawg gave a GREAT recipe.

You'll get a dozen different answers but....

fire up smoker. Rub butt and place fat side DOWN on smoker. smoke at 250ish until the bone slides loose. dont look. dont screw around. let the smoker make its magic.

Enjoy.
Whow! Ain't the Skylight Inn over in Ayden part of the South? They chop.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote