MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question for those who know barrels

I may have found a few barrels to use for my UDS but I want to make sure it does not have a liner in it before I buy it.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mat/3528126541.html
can any of you tell from the pics if it has one?

Thanks ya'll

Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

You want this one:

FOOD GRADE 55 gal STEEL SMOKER BARRELS
- open-head with removable Lid and Retaining Snap-lock Ring -- ... asking $35
- heavier guage steel barrel in Excellent Condition -- Clean Inside and Out -- NO SMELL

Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Bludawg but there is probably a liner that will need to be removed.
I had mine sand blasted by a friend. Wire wheel works with some elbow grease.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't think "food grade" gaurantees no liner. Sometimes the liner is what makes it "food grade".
Best bet is to contact the poster and ask for a "raw" barrel.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Enkidu
Take a breath!

The fact that they have barrels called "smoker barrels' probably means they are unlined. To be sure, just call them and ask.

Hover your mouse over the second to last pic and you will see the one I am referring to.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

It doesn't have to be FOOD GRADE. If it is FOOD GRADE then it will most likely have the liner.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Its really the heavier gauge steel that you want. Usually the DOT rated drums are a good choice. Sometimes there just is no escaping work unless you pay someone to remove the liner or buy it that way.
My opinion is to make sure it is of the heavier gauge. Liner or no liner is secondary.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
It doesn't have to be FOOD GRADE. If it is FOOD GRADE then it will most likely have the liner.
What ^^^ he said.

Food grade drums for UDS is the biggest myth out there right now.

You DO NOT want food grade drums to build an UDS. Anyone that suggests such is mistaken. (Sorry all, but this has to be straightened out)

What makes a standard steel drum "food grade" is the food safe lining in the drum.

For a UDS you want that liner removed as it is not designed to withstand regular heat of 200+.

If you remove the liner, you now have a standard steel (non food grade) drum.

So just start with a steel drum with no liner and you are way ahead of the game.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
The fact that they have barrels called "smoker barrels' probably means they are unlined. To be sure, just call them and ask.

Hover your mouse over the second to last pic and you will see the one I am referring to.
FYI, when I called Apex here in Los Angeles, they also have a refurbished drum that they refer to as a smoker barrel (and it is also $35) and they verified that it is unlined and has been sand-blasted. I am guessing that a simple call to the drum company in KC will verify whether or not their smoker barrel is similarly unlined.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

The open top one they show open looks to me that it has a tan liner in it. Easier to get rid of than the red ones, but still a bit of a pia.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
swamprb

I took a magnifying glass to the pics of the smoker barrels and IMO they appear to be lined.
You will never know unless you see for yourself.

Around here a new or "reconditioned" unlined open 55 gallon drum with lid and lock band run $35-50.

Locally, Stock Pot Soups will usually give away food grade drums, and I've seen both open and closed ones that were lined and unlined, some contained Olive or Canola oils, or lined open drums that held tomato puree in bladders.
At our shop, bearing grease comes packed in a bladder in lined open drums, and a local paint distributor routinely gives away smooth side open unlined drums packed with paint pigments in bladders.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Lined --- tan liner ----!
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

I kind of thought the tan coloring indicated a liner. Any KC Que'ers have a line on barrels. I was hoping to avoid an hour to an hour and a half drive to get one but so far that is what I am finding.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
MidnightStokersBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinn View Post
I kind of thought the tan coloring indicated a liner. Any KC Que'ers have a line on barrels. I was hoping to avoid an hour to an hour and a half drive to get one but so far that is what I am finding.
I would be interested as well....

18" WSM & 22" WSM
MidnightStokersBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Also keep in mind that many places like this don't know what a liner is and can't give you the correct answer even if they are staring right at the drum in question. Been quite a few reports here about people being told that a drum was unlined only to find out when looking at it in person that is indeed lined.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote