makin' Bacon

centexsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing my first homemade bacon this week. Coated the 4lb belly with salt, pink salt, and sugar. added some crushed garlic, crushed peppercorns and bay leaves and bagged it up for a 7 day cure in the fridge. I'll smoke it to 150 degrees when it's done. can't wait to see how it turns out.

bacon 001.jpg

Nothin' like homemade bacon. Have some honey cure, maple cure and jerk/molasses in the freezer. Can't stand store bough anymore.

Nothin' like homemade bacon. Have some honey cure, maple cure and jerk/molasses in the freezer. Can't stand store bough anymore.

cool. I can't wait. I really can't believe it took me this long to do but I'm sure it won't be the last time. Pancetta next................

i've cured my own bacon twice now and i will never buy bacon from a store again. it's way better and cheaper....if you get the belly for the right price

looking forward to some bacon pron

i've cured my own bacon twice now and i will never buy bacon from a store again. it's way better and cheaper....if you get the belly for the right price

looking forward to some bacon pron

oh there will be pron.

Man---only 4 pounds -- takes just as much work to make 4 and 15 and once you make it you will find all sorts of new friends and never pick it up in a store again :grin:

Man---only 4 pounds -- takes just as much work to make 4 and 15 and once you make it you will find all sorts of new friends and never pick it up in a store again :grin:

for sure. I wanted to start small with my first batch. Plus I bought the last belly they had. Once I know I have it down, I'll load up.

Just found this... I must and will try to make the bacon... just need to find a recipe

Home cured and smoked bacon is the best!

I ran out the other week and bought a pack of supermarket bacon...it was insipid, watery, thin and tasteless.
I went and got a loin the next day and started the cure.

I slice mine with a fillet knife. Takes some time, but I can cut up 10 pounds in a reasonable amount of time. I would like to buy a slicer, but I dont know what else I would use it for .

Back