MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #8011
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Nothing wrong with Mini UDS

Check out this link for some help:
http://www.shortypen.com/projects/bb.../uds/index.htm
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #8012
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=BBQpower;1658116]Now I got the 30Gal drum for free and was Clean inside, to small for a UDS, someone suggested I do a mini but I was thinking of just using it as a firebox and putting a 55gal drum horizontally but then it won't be a UDS anymore Time to go find 2 55Gals.

First of all : Your 30 gallon drum is best suited to go with a 18 1/2 " Weber or similar Kettles for lids.

Where as the 22 1/2" is used for the 55 gallon drums.

For the Mini drum, 10 to 16 gallon size using the Weber SJ @ 14" dia. or similar made grills of the same.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #8013
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone bought a UDS from White Arc Smokers? they seem well done.. just wondering if anyone has any feedback.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #8014
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
Has anyone bought a UDS from White Arc Smokers? they seem well done.. just wondering if anyone has any feedback.
Haven't bought one of theirs, but they look pretty solid and like a typical UDS.

I make my own to sell in the local area in SE Minnesota. I can't figure out how they can sell them so cheap. Just my parts alone cost me $125. But I do use reconditioned barrels and new dome lids from a charcoal grill. http://webpages.charter.net/trotterdr/bbqbarrel/

Theirs look pretty nice, and they are simple to use I am sure. If you are a busy person, one of these would be pretty nice. And, you can modify it as you go, if there are add-ons (shelves, better thermo, etc) that you want.

Dave
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #8015
jalon
On the road to being a farker

I got a question...still a new member, so search is limited...How big of a diameter should I make my coal basket? I know I saw some numbers height wise (535 pages is alot to remember where) but right now, with two 12x24 in. pieces of expanded metal bent together in a circle, I've got just over 14" diameter. Is that good, or will that be too hard to control long burns with. Thanks in advance, love this thread.

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #8016
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Both of mine are 9" tall by 14" diameter. I have no problem doing 18 hour plus burns on one basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalon View Post
I got a question...still a new member, so search is limited...How big of a diameter should I make my coal basket? I know I saw some numbers height wise (535 pages is alot to remember where) but right now, with two 12x24 in. pieces of expanded metal bent together in a circle, I've got just over 14" diameter. Is that good, or will that be too hard to control long burns with. Thanks in advance, love this thread.

Jalon

Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #8017
jalon

Thanks smokey...I've got a friend that will weld it up for me, I just wanted to make sure before he did. Appreciate it!
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #8018
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Well I just ordered a UDS from White Arc Smokers. I hope I don't regret buying this and taken the short cut rather then building my own. I'm just so dam busy I rather spend a little more and have it home already. Guess I need to change my avatar now from a gas grill to a drum .
I saw someone post in this thread that people should know a few things BEFORE they season it. Is there any advise that I should do from the start?

Thanks in advance again!
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #8019
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

If you are paying for it, it should come ready to season. You may want to double check the inside, but it should be ready to smoke enjoy.

A word of warning , if anybody ever eats any of your food off this UDS...You'll be cooking for every holiday, birthday...etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #8020
grills gone wild
Knows what a fatty is.

Default modified fire basket

I have been using fire basket a little different on the last few cooks. I saw one of the bigboy smokers use a basket that was like a maze, i guess because it only allowed a limited amount of charcoal to burn as it went around the maze.

I put a couple of firebricks in like this, and use a small piece of grate to make a compartment to put the lit coal in, it seems to be working, using my stoker, i did two burns over the weekend, one with out meat on sat, that went 13 hours. I firebricks holding a little heat doesn't hurt either.

On Sunday i did a 13 lb brisket and the fire went 14 hours.

Seems to work, the best i could do before was around 10, maybe 11 hours

Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #8021
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Firebox size and burn time

Hi all,

Thought I would chime in on the firebox size and burn time discussion. I build 12" tall by 14" diameter fireboxes for my UDS's. I did two 9 lbs. pork shoulders last weekend, and I started the UDS at 4:00pm.....it was still at temp (245 degrees F)at 7:00am the next morning. So, that's 15 hours. I pulled the pork, and let the cooker go for another hour, and then shut it down. So, that was 16 hours.

When I opened it up the next day to do a little cleanout.....I still had 3-4 inches of unburnt coals in the firebox.

I usually fill it up to about an inch from the top, and then make a small well in the middle. I usually put 12-15 glowing coals right in the center in about an 8-inch circle, with a couple 2-3 diameter wood chunks on the edge for smoke.
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #8022
mcoupe

Wow! This thread is intimidating....thanks for all the knowledge!
[COLOR=navy]MAVERICK E-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]WEBER 18 inch[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000080]BLUE EMBER IQUE (GASSER)[/COLOR]
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #8023
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grills gone wild View Post
I have been using fire basket a little different on the last few cooks. I saw one of the bigboy smokers use a basket that was like a maze, i guess because it only allowed a limited amount of charcoal to burn as it went around the maze.

I put a couple of firebricks in like this, and use a small piece of grate to make a compartment to put the lit coal in, it seems to be working, using my stoker, i did two burns over the weekend, one with out meat on sat, that went 13 hours. I firebricks holding a little heat doesn't hurt either.

On Sunday i did a 13 lb brisket and the fire went 14 hours.

Seems to work, the best i could do before was around 10, maybe 11 hours

I like your firebrick idea! I'll have to give that a try next time.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #8024
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

UDS #1 is getting some pinholes in the bottom, got a line on the replacement.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #8025
TDaddy
Got Wood.

wow, 535 pages?!?!?

This weekend I'm planning on turning an old drum that's been in my parents' garage for 35 years (I have no idea where it even came from) to a smoker using all the knowledge I learned on this site (and mainly this thread!)

Thanks for all the knowledge!
TDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker