Untrimmed spares on a WSM Question

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Good morning brethren. I've never cooked untrimmed spares before, and want to do 3 racks tomorrow. (using 3-1 1/2-1 method how will they fit on my WSM. Thanks in advance.

I can fit 2 racks of spares on 1 cooking grate in my UDS. You'll probably need a rib rack if it's an 18" one.

I planned on using a rib rack for the first 3 hours, I guess my question was if 2 racks would fit on the top, with one on the bottom.

I planned on using a rib rack for the first 3 hours, I guess my question was if 2 racks would fit on the top, with one on the bottom.

Sure, that's no problem. You'll have plenty room for the two foil wrapped slabs on the top rack after smoking in the rack with the other one. (You need a decent rib rack to allow for space between the slabs.)

I wouldn't buy the largest ribs you can find, though. I bought a bunch of #4 slabs on the 4th for my little wsm, and smoked nine, with five of them untrimmed. I smoked a little hotter than usual, 250-275, and the untrimmed were fantastic, no foil either. If I ever smoke that many again though, it will be in my drum. I also will use little chili powder and sugar, and bump up the temps to 275-300. Good luck. I think the biggest thing with untrimmed is to make sure the skinny ends don't overcook before the "rib tips" side does. Make sure that side gets exposed to a little more heat.

Dave
wsm, otg, ots, uds, char-griller w/sfb, smoky joe

Here is what I did last week: Get a firebrick, a third cooking grate and some foil. Use a hammer and chisel to break the brick in 3 pieces, wrap in foil. Place one untrimmed rack of ribs on bottom grate with 3 pieces of brick; place next cooking grate with untrimmed rack on bricks; top rack as normal.

It works great if you don't foil your ribs. When the ribs are ready for glazing, you should be able to fit two on the top grate due to shrinkage.:thumb:

Here is what I did last week: Get a firebrick, a third cooking grate and some foil. Use a hammer and chisel to break the brick in 3 pieces, wrap in foil. Place one untrimmed rack of ribs on bottom grate with 3 pieces of brick; place next cooking grate with untrimmed rack on bricks; top rack as normal.

It works great if you don't foil your ribs. When the ribs are ready for glazing, you should be able to fit two on the top grate due to shrinkage.:thumb:

You can save some money and hammer swings by just stacking the extra grate on three or four strategically placed soup cans, too, or use carriage bolts and big washers for a little more space.

Thanks for the tips. I bought some that were not too long, but real meaty, so it should work out fine.

I would if they were for me, but i'm cooking them for a friend who asked for untrimmed.

rib rack ya can get them at home depot there cheap and will hold untrimmed ribs

Back