first butcher paper butts

Thanks for the write up and the idea for using a roaster rack.
Didn't think the juices would stay in the paper.....but what do I know.
They both look great, good going!

^^^Thanks never really thought of that with it being uncovered.

Did the bark on the wrapped one suffer at all?

When I unwrapped it there was a small section in the center that still had a little resistance so it went back on for 30-45 min with the paper ripped off. That may have helped firm the bark up. I was surprised how similar they came out.

Sooooo what is your take home? They both look so dang good in the pics I'm not sure I can draw a conclusion other than maybe wrap to preserve color then unwrap for a while to firm up the bark???

Sooooo what is your take home? They both look so dang good in the pics I'm not sure I can draw a conclusion other than maybe wrap to preserve color then unwrap for a while to firm up the bark???

I'm not sure either, the one thing is the 1/4 cup of juice, was definitely a flavor bomb, but if the unwrapped was on a rack in a pan it would have juice as well. After this I can't say one is better than the other but I do have 997 ft of bp left so i'm sure i'll wrap again.

Hey, I just realized they are sitting on foil. Didn't you use butcher paper to rest them?

Ive tried wrapping butts, with the same results.
The pan slowed down the butt.
Next one I got my bark then wrapped in BP tossed it back on the grate
in my offset. Juice went to the bottom of the offset.
My next time I'll put a foil pan in the bottom of the offset.
Shouldn't affect smoking time, but I can retrieve the juices after
I remove the butt. Live and learn.

I wrap to stop anymore smoke from flavoring the butt once I think it has enough. As well as color.
Did you notice any difference in the smoke flavor between the two?

I wrap to stop anymore smoke from flavoring the butt once I think it has enough. As well as color.
Did you notice any difference in the smoke flavor between the two?

Before they got pulled my neighbor and I picked at both side by side they were very close in smokiness.

Back