Best way to clean water bowl in WSM...I messed up.

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
OK, guys, Im going home tomorrow from my honeymoon in NOLA and I have a job to do with the WSM. Let me explain - Last week after I cooked for the wedding party, I didn't have time to let the WSM cool down and then clean it before i left for NOLA, so I just covered it up and left it. I saw the water bowl and it is a MESS as I didn't cover it in foil before I cooked (this is where I messed up). Anyway, what is the best way to clean the bowl now with a weeks worth of drippings in it all crusted over? What can I do with it and not damage the bowl?

Im gonna foil the bowl from now on.

If it's just congealed fat floating on the water, toss as much of it out as you can and wash with Dawn detergent and water.

If it's burnt and crusted on, soak it until it loosens up. I use a cheap 5 in 1 paint scraper tool that has been bent just right so it matches the curve of the WSM stuff, and I scrape the really crusty stuff with it.

The water bowl is porcelain coated too, and is pretty durable.

To be honest I have used oven cleaner on all of my Weber's and have never had a problem. I feel the finish is pretty strong and normally just use one of those plastic mesh scrubbers from the store to scrub them. The next time I use the Weber I just make sure to get the temps up a bit to re-season the cooker for a half hour or so and then lower the temps to my desired setting. Vince

never do that again, 1st.
you'll see...but not that big of a dealio.
dump out everything liquid. pour in water, dish detergent, and scrub with grill brush. rinse, repeat. and then wash with a sponge couple times.
you won't hurt it and it DON"T gotta be like new.

congrats and welcome home!

get a hose, turn on. If you do it in the grass, the dogs clean the grass.

I always dump the remains into my green bin (grass & organics)...Give it a wash with a good dish soap, then let it soak filled with hot soapy water.....Not a big deal.

Try taking it to your local manual car wash. It shouldn't take too much to clean it out. Just be careful of the power-wash spray setting, especially if you are holding it with one hand. I won't tell you how I know this :icon_blush:, but be warned!

Back