Reverse Sous Vide Pulled Pork ( Pit Boss Kamado )

Mark In The Pit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/w-W2ugNd7Z0

Reverse Sous Vide Pulled Pork

This was my first attempt as Sous Viding anything. Following instructions from online manuals I used the recommended temp of 145°F for Sous Viding pork. I personally couldn't handle the texture. What I learned from this sous viding experience is that I prefer my meats cooked at traditional temperatures. Not lower pasteurized temps.

Ingredients:
Pork Butt
Mustard
Byron's Butt Rub

Method:
1) Smoke the pork butt as usual for until you reach desired smoke / color.
2) Sous vide for 24 hours @ 165°F (what I recommend).
3) Just pull it and eat it, torching is just kind of weird. If I really needed to add some more color I would toss it back on the smoker for another hour or so.

What I did via trial and error was follow instructions and sous vide @ 145°F for 24 hours. I could not handle the texture. Thinking back on the experience I think I can better describe the texture of the pork to be kind of like if canned tuna wasn't dry and hard. To try and salvage the pork I sous vided again for another 24 hours @ 165°F. That produced a more traditional pulled pork in both appearance and texture.

Try it in an Instant Pot. Takes about an hour and produces credible (though smokeless) pulled pork.

One of these days I'm going to try a combination of Instant Pot and a few hours in my smoker.

Here's what I did last time:

Update 6/10/17, 2 picnics: 165 for 18, chilled, on the KBQ at 245 for 2 hours to hit 170. Low smoke setting. Decent if not meteorite bark, but that was expected trading off with the IT.

Came out nice!

I have done it in the opposite order, and that wasn't bad either:

Smoked 3 hours + 18 hours sous vide at 176F yielded 53% (SV& BGE hybrid method), boneless.

I made a comment that it could have gone lower and longer in the SV to be more moist, so I must have figured it was a bit dry.

Interesting test. I’ve sous vide’d a bunch of chicken but never pork butt. I’m gonna have to try it.

EdF thanks for the input. Airedale, havent heard of Instapot, gonna have to check that out. PotBelly, how's your chicken coming out? I'm having a beck of a time with it. Even tried making fried chicken with it but man it's jus so weird chewing. Tried it at just about everything between 155 ~ 165 usually around 2 hours.

Appreciate the video, keep in mind that cuts of meat with high levels of connective tissue need not only time but temp.

145 is the SV temp if you want to slice the pork. 165 for pulled pork

I've done SV pulled pork using Kenji's method:
Put on about half of your rub
Drop in the SV bath @165 for 18-24 hours
Remove from the bag, pat dry, and add the other half of the rub
Put on the smoker @ ~300 for about 90 minutes to set the bark

Comes out really good.

Back