MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Sous vide question

The Anova sous vide was on sale last week and i couldn't resist pulling the trigger. The package was recieved and i picked up a chuckeye roast to break er in.

Now this type of cooking is completely new to me so i am turning to you for guidance. Ive done some reading and information is all over the board.

How long is good for a 3 inch thick roast?

Ive read a little about minimum safe temps for longer cooks.

Is there a minimum temperature setting for cooks lasting several hours?

The chucky is going for a swim as we speak. May as well post some pron

Old 05-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
lefty_2
Got rid of the matchlight.

If you're using celcius I would recommend 54.5-60°C for 24-72 hours (yeah I know its a big time gap). I usually go for 54.4C for 42 hours
lefty_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I'd do it at 125 for six hours. I also season in the bag with some EVOO
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

For that thickness, I'm with GreenDrake...it's gonna take at least 5-6 hours for the middle of the meat to equilibrate with the outside water temp. The longer times mentioned above will further tenderize the meat to make it pullable, for instance. Lots of leeway, lots of variation...lots of FUN!
jwtseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I haven't done a water bath chuck yet, but the reading I've done from people who have lots of experience indicate that chuck benefits greatly from extended hold times to tenderize. 24-72 hours is supposed to yield prime rib results from beef chuck and short ribs, with 48 hours being a popular number. It will be cooked in 4-6 hours, but it will be magic in 48 from what I understand.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
I haven't done a water bath chuck yet, but the reading I've done from people who have lots of experience indicate that chuck benefits greatly from extended hold times to tenderize. 24-72 hours is supposed to yield prime rib results from beef chuck and short ribs, with 48 hours being a popular number. It will be cooked in 4-6 hours, but it will be magic in 48 from what I understand.
Yes this is very true. The 4-6 hours is just the minimum amount of time to get the very middle of the 3-inch meat to the same temp as the water outside. This is usually how steaks are cooked...and then seared quickly on the outside. But to tenderize a roast, the 24-48-72 hours will transform it. There are two meat enzymes that act to tenderize meat...calpain enzymes are most active around 105F and cathepsain enzymes at 122F. If you aim to hold the meat at 105F for a few hours, then hold at 122F for a few hours, then raise the temp to your target for the remainder of the cook, you will maximize the activity of these enzymes and theoretically more efficiently tenderize your meat.

I do 2-3 inch NY strips this way...season in the bag, to 105F for an hour, then to 122F for another hour, then raise the temp to 130 for another hour...I don't like my NY strips cooked to 130, but upping the temp to 130 for an hour seems to be perfect for me to get the center to 128F. If it's going to be more than an hour before eating time...then I pour cold water in the bath and decrease the temp to hold the meat at 128F

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtseng View Post
Yes this is very true. The 4-6 hours is just the minimum amount of time to get the very middle of the 3-inch meat to the same temp as the water outside. This is usually how steaks are cooked...and then seared quickly on the outside. But to tenderize a roast, the 24-48-72 hours will transform it. There are two meat enzymes that act to tenderize meat...calpain enzymes are most active around 105F and cathepsain enzymes at 122F. If you aim to hold the meat at 105F for a few hours, then hold at 122F for a few hours, then raise the temp to your target for the remainder of the cook, you will maximize the activity of these enzymes and theoretically more efficiently tenderize your meat.

I do 2-3 inch NY strips this way...season in the bag, to 105F for an hour, then to 122F for another hour, then raise the temp to 130 for another hour...I don't like my NY strips cooked to 130, but upping the temp to 130 for an hour seems to be perfect for me. If it's going to be more than an hour before eating time...then I pour cold water in the bath and decrease the temp to hold the meat at 128F
So cooking this roast at 130 for a day and a half should be good? I was gonna just go 8 -10 but can just let it roll until dinner tomorrow.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
jwtseng
is one Smokin' Farker

Either way will be fine...depends on what you are shooting for...8-10 hours will probably be sliceable...24-36 hours will most likely be more tender/pullable...think shortribs in a pressure cooker fork tender

Old 05-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #9
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Not a good cooking method for the planning impaired... or if you are hungry right the hell now.

I've done the "bubba sous vide" in a beer cooler (what? of course I have one of those) for 1 to 1.5" steaks - and the couple of hours is close enuff to "right the hell now" that I will occasionally use it. And it has turned out really good.
But the 24, 36 ... plus cook times? I'm sure it's wondermous... but- yeah... no.
But get after it if that is your thing.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Ninja, pretty much all advise above is cool. Think of this devices like you think of smoking a chuck. Slow and low. The longer you cook it the more you will change the texture, not the internal temp (as it cannot go above the water temp). So longer equals more tender. However, as with overcooking a pork butt on your smoker, if you go too long you will end up with mushy texture to your meat and it will kill your product. Fortunately, since you are cooking at such a low temp, the window to pull it out is really really big.

A couple of tips I have found handy are 1, sear the outside of the roast first before putting it in the bag. Makes a better tasting roast I think (also, when you pull it out it doesn't look like a grey mass).

2. A little oil in the bag seems to help, not much, just enough to coat your meat, fish, whatever.

3. you don't need to use more expensive food saver bags, you can use a good ziplock type, just google to see how to get the air out of the bag using the immersion method.

4. With a roast or any big piece of meat you will get a bunch of juice in the bag (about a cup)...this is a killer base for your steak sauce, gravy, whatever. Do not waste.

Have fun with your new toy! oh, and eggs...do eggs..google it. picture homer after he eats a doughnut...

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

For any extended cook (4+ hours) you should really be cooking at 130 to keep the nasty stuff from growing. I usually do 131 just to be sure.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
dadsr4

Ron L seems to be the expert.
Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=211200

Old 05-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #13
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Ron L seems to be the expert.
Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=211200
I've been browsing that one on and off all day. Ron really needs to edit that thing down, there's alot of fluff

Old 05-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
llanero
Got Wood.

couldn't stand it any more, just ordered mine
llanero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Smoke Dawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : IMF

This is a new day!

Ninja is cooking at LOWER than 225° !

The whole method just seems weird to me but I look on with curiosity. Probably try it some day

Good luck
Only Brethren to win a TD with all the votes!
IMBAS Certified Moink Baller
Smoke Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
chuck roast, sous vide