MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
brandonh1987
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork rub

Anybody tried just salt and pepper for a pulled pork rub? I always heard not to use salt in long smokes and it sweats the flavor out? If not would you guys add anything to a basic salt n pepper rub? Some cayenne? Any advice would be appreciated.
brandonh1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonh1987 View Post
Anybody tried just salt and pepper for a pulled pork rub? I always heard not to use salt in long smokes and it sweats the flavor out? If not would you guys add anything to a basic salt n pepper rub? Some cayenne? Any advice would be appreciated.
Basic Salt and pepper is great by itself, and they are also ingredients in most rubs.

Add spices to your liking, you can add the rub to a small piece of meat and fry or quickly grill to get a taste preview..

Popdaddy’s ButtGlitter (De-ciphered)

8 Parts Paprika
3 Parts Salt
3 Parts Sugar
2 Parts Cumin
2 Parts Garlic Powder
2 Parts Onion Powder
2 Parts Ground Celery Seed
1 Part Chili Powder
1 Part Oregamo
1 Part Black Pepper
½ part each of Mustard - Red Pepper or Cayenne
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
TheKomoman
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonh1987 View Post
Only thing I have ever heard regarding salt & pork butt is if you use a lot of salt and allow it to sit for a longer period of time (guessing here but probably means overnight+) you can end up with a hammy taste as the salt begins the curing process. So really its just a matter of being careful of how much you use, don't crust it up! Almost all rubs will have some measure of salt - salt is a flavor enhancer and it helps the other seasoning shine.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Aaron Franklin just put out a video a few weeks ago on West Texas Pork Butt. The rub he used was salt, pepper, paprika, granulated onion/garlic powder.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Bludawg

I normally just do either salt or salt & pepper for a rub. I can't tell the difference on a Butt because of the long cook time most of the other spices in a rub loose their ZIP and the only thing really comes through in the bark is the S&P any way, Ribs are a whole different story those do get rub. I will add some rub( PD BGS) once it is pulled if I am serving guests. If it is just family then it gets salt and E.NC. Pig Juice.

Last edited by Bludawg; 03-22-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I believe that salt pulls the flavors deeper into the meat, especially the smoke flavor. Quite the opposite of sweating the favor out.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I am sorry but being from Mississippi it is in my genetic makeup to have sugar in my pork rub. I can't help you with a salt and pepper deal.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
bigabyte

Basic salt and pepper smoked pork is a very handy thing to have stored in the deep freeze for many different leftovers. Sometimes the flavors of all the injections, rubs and stuff folks use for BBQ Pork isn't best suited for some pork dishes compared to a basic salt and pepper seasoned pork.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

I've used just S&P on many meats including tri-tip, chuck roast and spare ribs.
Always turns out great.
I'll use a dry rub if I want a good bark.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote