MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Pellet Pooper Power

Did I read somewhere thats its unsafe to run the FE100 off a generator(Honda 3000)..

The Honda runs my computer, so I cant see it give the FE a problem... its supposed to be clean power...

or is it just safer to run off a powerpack and inverter?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Cheap generators don't have a good regulator in them to give a 60 hz sine wave and the govenor in them sometimes doesn't hold a steady speed and the output varies.

Computer (Esp laptop) power supplies are pretty flexable when it comes to power. They conver it to DC for the computer anyway. So I'm not sure I would use that as an indicator of the quality of your generator.

I would think the Honda is probably pretty good quality. If you have access to an O-scope you could check the outoput (voltage and HZ). You could also check it with a Multi meter but you wouldn't be able to see the quality of the sine wave. Remember to vary the load when you are checking it.

So the company probably makes a blanket statement since they cannot predict the quality of generator.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I'm pretty sure that Scottie ran his FECs off of his Honda generator for a couple of years (I think he just upgraded to a bigger model). I think he's on the road but he'll probably check in.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

I would talk with cookshack, i believe the hona U1000 to 3000 are just fine, I personally run my FEC100 at comps from a inverter and marine battery. but was going to buy either the 2000 or 3000 Honda myself
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Did I read somewhere thats its unsafe to run the FE100 off a generator(Honda 3000)..

The Honda runs my computer, so I cant see it give the FE a problem... its supposed to be clean power...

or is it just safer to run off a powerpack and inverter?
Pooh, you nailed it -- It isn't ok to run it off of a worksite generator... too much "dirty" / surgy power. But any generator that has a digital inverter (or sinewave inverter as some named) should be fine to run it on.

I can tell you there are a bunch of folks however, that use a marine battery with an inverter... and hook one of those conditioning chargers to it, off of thier genset.

You should be fine with your honda. Mine ran fine off the Kipor. Todd has run both his of the Kipor with no probs.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

What about a small/cheap UPS in the middle?
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarry View Post
What about a small/cheap UPS in the middle?
An active UPS would be needed(those condition the power thru the battery before converting to AC) the small cheap ones aren't active and have a staright thru AC feed until the battery is kicked on thru voltage stop or drop.

Would a car booster pack with an inverter run one overnight or does it need deepcycle? The ar elisted as drawing 5 amps, whichs seems like alot for what its doing.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I bought Yamaha clean generator when I purchased my FEC. It runs the laptop but gives the cooker fits. I switched to a deep cycle marine battery with a sine inverter last year and it works perfect. Cookshack gave me several controllers to try to see if that was the issue but they all did the same thing. It is not an IQ by the way, just the old Traeger controller.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've had my Honda 3000 for 3 seasons and it ran almost every contest and it worked like a charm for my FE and my FEC... I bought the new 6500 and have kept my 3000 as a back-up, that is how much I think of it...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
roastntoast
On the road to being a farker

You can get an Inverter generator . It coverts the power to 12 volts then through a built in inverter it converts it back to 120 v , so you can run a computer or anything that is sensative to hydro fluctuations.

Jules
roastntoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Generators and Pellet Poopers.........aint that cheating? ( Chit stirrer mod) I say go with coal and sticks and problem solved. (Stirs the pot some more)

I have no feedback on generators or poopers. Just wanted to stir the pot. However, I now know what to look for in a generator when I get one. I figured they were all the same, guess not.
Now I know what to look for in a pooper too.........if I ever get one!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
BBQchef33

definately have to be aware of what generator your getting for what.

Worksite gens are great for circular saws, but will kill a refrigerator, wear out andAir conditioner and wreck havoc on electronics. The hondas are inverted sine wave generators that clean up the power by converting the AC power produced by the alternator to DC, smoothing it out thru some funky microprocessor and then inverting it back to AC. It claims to produce clean stable power.

not to mention they be REAL quiet. :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Now I know why the Honda ones cost such a pretty penny.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I run my FEC 500 on a Honda 3000. There is no other generator than Honda for me, ever.

I change the oil with Mobile 1, and so far it just purrs along. We ran a Honda trash pump for 4 months straight in '93 during the flood. Put gas in it and stopped it once a week to check and add oil if needed. We still have it and it still works!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote