• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Pitmaster's season premiere

Who was the meat supplier (can't remember offhand now)? It wasnt' SRF as in the past years.

Since Butcher's in on here, what do you think of that supplier vs the normally available stuff such as IBP etc?

The meat this year is from a national restaurant supplier. I think it brings the quality of product down to what the back yard cooker would pick up at the store.

Last edited:
What's up with using Parkay and calling it butter? Do they make the contestants say that? The first person I saw do this was Johnny Trigg who called it "Squeeze Butter" but last night it was just called butter. Why not call it like it is and just say margarine?

I enjoyed watching it last night. Had I known a brethren was on, I would have been even more interested.

p.s. Butcher, I tried going to your website in your sig on my iPad and could only get to the crippled mobile site. I'd suggest you enable the full website for iPad users. At a minimum, give a link in the footer of the mobile site to allow a user to go to the full site.

What's up with using Parkay and calling it butter? Do they make the contestants say that? The first person I saw do this was Johnny Trigg who called it "Squeeze Butter" but last night it was just called butter. Why not call it like it is and just say margarine?

I think it's because a lot of folks think Margarine is inferior to Butter. Most Margarine products are inferior (like Country Crock which is made from 100% Soy) but Parkay and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter really tastes like Butter. Also, Margarine has a much higher smoke point whereas Butter will tend to burn at BBQ Temps. :mod:

The meat this year is from a national restaurant supplier. I think it brings the quality of product down to what the back yard cooker would pick up at the store.

Great job Dave! I knew you would win, and with a Fast Eddy!

Driver... I think it's pretty well governed by the game show people... but I can see how it may seem questionable... I think it probably comes down to editing and the fact that a lot of those "cameo" comments are probably shot after the fact etc.

I would imagine you're right about editing and adding things in to make them fit the story lines.

Congratulations David, I thought you came across really well.
Anyone who missed it can also get it on itunes (that's the only way we can see it over here).

Congrats, Butcher.

Any chance you'd explain what the purpose of "hydrolyzed vegetable protein" is in your injection?

David
The Swine Spectator

David,

I think it would be right awesome if you mentioned any of the products you sell commercially that you used for the contest. I don't know if that's "kosher" with the rules for Q-Talk, but I know I'd love to know as a former and future customer of some of your great stuff.

I really dig the Prime Dust and Brisket injection so I'm also curious about the pork stuff now.

Thanks, and great job!

It was really cool seeing butchers skill in removing the horn muscle and slicing it. I have been playing around with cooking butts in in two pieces the coppa, and shoulder roll and saving lardo to grind for sausage making or to add additional fat to lean burger grind.

I think it's because a lot of folks think Margarine is inferior to Butter. Most Margarine products are inferior (like Country Crock which is made from 100% Soy) but Parkay and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter really tastes like Butter. Also, Margarine has a much higher smoke point whereas Butter will tend to burn at BBQ Temps. :mod:

All of which is fine but it doesn't answer the question of why they're calling it butter.

BTW, congrats to Butcher Dave, I should have said that from the top.

All of which is fine but it doesn't answer the question of why they're calling it butter.

My guess is it's easier to refer to all butter/butter substitute products as "butter." That's the way we do it in my house, I don't ask for the smart balance buttery spread, I ask for the butter.

BTW, congrats to Butcher Dave, I should have said that from the top.

It does get confusing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWQYeiB6JI"]Parkay butter with Deacon Jones classic tv commercial - YouTube[/ame]

On a side note. RIP Deacon Jones. The originator of the term sack.

For the juice we mixed with our Pork injection I use Welch's white grape juice with Peach (it is found on the non refrigerated shelf), The blue butter (sorry margarine) bottle is not what it looks like, on the ribs the only thing was really just the water. Thats all I can think of. If you see anything bring it back up here and I will comment on it.

Back