• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Next time I'll have back up.

khs282

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I was planning on doing a rack of spares today. I was really looking forward to it too because it has been a while since I have. Made a dry rub that tasted great and was excited to see how it tasted on the ribs. Smoker at 240* ready to rub the ribs. Open the packaging, almost fainted. Horrible smell. Went straight into the trash. Nothing else in my fridge or freezer to throw on the already hot smoker. Needless to say, I am really bummed. Next time I will have a back up plan in case of something like this.:evil::mad:

Or at least rub the ribs before you light the fire.

Ya. Thats the other thing I'll do next time. I figured I'd get them ready while the UDS came to temp and stabilized. Learn from your mistakes.

Next time try rinsing them thoroughly then letting them sit out for 10-15 minutes. If the smell dissipates, they're fine. If they still stink, toss em. I've had ribs that stunk like a bushel of rotten eggs, then after rinsing were fine.

I have opened cryovac packages of pork before that had pretty strong rotten egg smells, but rinsed the meat well, and the smell went away. They cooked up fine.

Of course, I can't smell your ribs from where I'm sitting. Yours may have been beyond strong.

CD

Next time try rinsing them thoroughly then letting them sit out for 10-15 minutes. If the smell dissipates, they're fine. If they still stink, toss em. I've had ribs that stunk like a bushel of rotten eggs, then after rinsing were fine.

I have opened cryovac packages of pork before that had pretty strong rotten egg smells, but rinsed the meat well, and the smell went away. They cooked up fine.

^ +1 ... One of the effects of the cyro-packaging is that nitrogen is introduced to make an oxygen free package. Sometimes the remnants of the package gives a strong odor (like they said above). Simply rinse and wait a few minutes and all is well. The meat isn't spoiled even though the odor can be over-powering.

This is referred to as a "Gasser" by most butchers.

I did rinse them then cut em to St Louis. and let em sit for 15 min. Still smelled like rotten eggs. If there is a bright side, my new knife sharpener works great. Never cut spares to St. Louis so easy before.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

That is a bummer, this is why I always buy at least two packs of ribs or butts. Yes, it means I often have extra meat in the freezer, like that is a problem. Oh, and I often keep extra meat in the freezer.

I bought two packages of spare ribs last summer and two days later planned on smoking them. Opened the packs up and one had a good "fresh" look about it and the other was very gray and just plain did not look good. Not really a bad smell but didn't look right . Took them back and got my money back from the butcher.

I did rinse them then cut em to St Louis. and let em sit for 15 min. Still smelled like rotten eggs. If there is a bright side, my new knife sharpener works great. Never cut spares to St. Louis so easy before.

What knife sharpener do you have? I need a good one ASAP.

What knife sharpener do you have? I need a good one ASAP.

Presto Eversharp. I highly recommend it. Here is a link to it on Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-08800-EverSharp-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B00006IUWM"]Amazon.com: Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Well, it is is always best to be safe.

No sense taking chances and getting ill or even worse...

I guess better safe than sorry. Sorry about your loss.

Luckily I haven't had this problem YET. Although I have had a scare after opening a cryo-packed pork butt before. I rinsed it and dried it. By the time I got back from starting the coals the smell had dissapated, so I chalked it up to being in the cryo-pack.

+1 on the rinsing. I've experienced this several times and after rinsing all's been fine.

Man that really sucks but like others have said it better to be safe then sick!

If you give them a thorough rinse, and they still smell bad, then you should probably toss them. You are going to cook ribs to way above the temperature that bacteria can survive, but who knows what they will taste like.

CD

Back