Weber OTP and smoking?

Demmo

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I got a great CL deal on a 2010 Weber OTP. My question is with the vent in the center of the lid instead od the side like the other weber charcoal grills will it make smoke more difficult? Will there be issues with the smoke and heat not wanting to draw across the food?

The Platinum does have a top vent in the center.

I really do not think it will matter much, if any. The top vent location is just a few inches from the top vent location on an OTG or OTS.

Just do the typical indirect setup many of us use on our OTG/OTS style Webers, and I think you will get the same results. Try it out with some cheap meat first, of course.

CD

I have been using my OTG with great success and I grabbed this off CL because I thought the tables and higher height would be a welcome addition. Now I am just worried about this vent. I guess I can just switch lids from my OTG if it is an issue.

I have been using my OTG with great success and I grabbed this off CL because I thought the tables and higher height would be a welcome addition. Now I am just worried about this vent. I guess I can just switch lids from my OTG if it is an issue.

Use a cheap, forgiving meat to test it out. I really don't think it will make any difference, but I could be wrong. You will never know for sure until you try it.

CD

Use a cheap, forgiving meat to test it out. I really don't think it will make any difference, but I could be wrong. You will never know for sure until you try it.

CD

What would you consider a cheap forgiving meat? I am new to smoking so forgive my ignorance.

Bone in chicken thighs for .79 a pound would be a cheap, forgiving meat. Give them a light rub of Season All and smoke 'em with a fruit wood for about an hour and a half at 350 and make sure the skin is crisp, the fat is rendered out, and the internal temp is 175 when you pull them off.

pork shoulder is cheap and forgiving, and really good if you're looking for a longer cook to do

No worries, it'll be fine. I've never been too convinced about the smoke draw/ cross venting in my kettles. The principle makes sense on a longer horizontal smoker but never seems to make much difference on a kettle.

Last edited:
Dem, i have the same kettle and havent thrown anything out yet due to not being good. Im with Mister and his thinking on this one.

I had that model OTP and never noticed any difference in smokiness or appearance than my OTG. Nice cooker. I only sold mine to make room on the patio for other cookers I wanted.

The kettle was a Craigslist find. I scored it for $50. I love the addition of the tables and the higher height. I did a clean out burn this evening and then cooked some awesome 1/2 pound burgers on it for the family. It is going to get it first run as a smoker on Monday. I have to get the holes drilled this weekend for my new PartyQ and I will be ready to roll.

Back