MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Default Unusual RUB question

So I been wondering how hard it would be to be able to sell your rub? What would be some of the first few steps? Do you think it would be an expensive process?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a buddy that just started with 2 rubs and a sauce.
You have to give up your recipe to a manufacturer and they modify it so its commercialized, they add preservatives! Then you have to get it into stores. He's slowly getting it out there.
It's fantastic, he has been cooking for people for 10 year+ so his BBQ is well known in the area. Lots of work but its a labor of love.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

A friend of mine started redneck pepper and is now bankrupt. I'm sure he made a lot of bad business decisions but I wouldn't touch it unless your were going to mix it yourself and slowly build your business. Advertising is a huge expense!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Start cooking for people and have it on hand pre packaged and go cash only

Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

As the others have pointed out, a lot of people make and sell their own rubs and sauces, but it isn't easy. You can't just expect to sit in your basement on the weekends filling bottles and then expect it to show up on store shelves and watch the money start coming in. It's a business like anything else, and it requires a lot of time, money, probably a commercial kitchen or qualified producer, good packaging, great marketing to get your foot in the door in stores, etc.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it if it's a dream, but you should go into it knowing it will take time, money, and work to do it right, and to make good money. You can always start small and try selling at local farmer's markets and stuff early on to see if it's something that's worth building, but even just doing that is going to take some time and money, so go into that expecting to come away with a loss starting out.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
A friend of mine started redneck pepper and is now bankrupt. I'm sure he made a lot of bad business decisions but I wouldn't touch it unless your were going to mix it yourself and slowly build your business. Advertising is a huge expense!
I really liked that stuff on just about anything.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

I would be perfectly happy being able to sell it locally and to people I cook for. I also wanted to continue to make it myself. It's just a hobby for me not in it for the money. I make it now and bottle it and give it to friends. I just wanted to be able to sell it for enough money to keep buying supplies. That being said I dont want in any trouble from health department or the business license people.

Now that you know a little more info that may help.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
vader06
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey Hardluck, What kind of bottles do you get for your rub and where do you get them? I make my own rub too and I have friends and family that alway want some.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
JTurner538
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
I hate that. I've got a couple bottles of redneck pepper in my cabinet and love the stuff.
JTurner538 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader06 View Post
Hey Hardluck, What kind of bottles do you get for your rub and where do you get them? I make my own rub too and I have friends and family that alway want some.

I got these in Florida at All American Containers. Would not recommend They got me on shipping!! They charged $40 to ship 100 bottels,lids, and shaker caps.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

any more advice on staying legal?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
nthole
Babbling Farker

The best way to stay legal is to do one of two things.

Contact a co-packer in your area and get prices for them to mix your items for you, including coming up with the label, dietary information and a UPC code.

or

Contact your local health department and get all the information you need for getting fully licensed including renting commissary space as needed when you are mixing and packaging your product.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
The Pig's Blanket
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
The best way to stay legal is to do one of two things.

Contact a co-packer in your area and get prices for them to mix your items for you, including coming up with the label, dietary information and a UPC code.

or

Contact your local health department and get all the information you need for getting fully licensed including renting commissary space as needed when you are mixing and packaging your product.
Good advice thank you!