MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Ponty56
On the road to being a farker

Default pizza stone questions

Picked up this pizza stone for my offset and used cowboy lump for the heat but I had the fire to the left of the stone. Will I have a better result with an even temp and cook on the stone with the fire directly under the stone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140721_204649.jpg (72.0 KB, 61 views)
Ponty56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

In reality, it all depends on how hot you can get the stone from wherever you place it in your smoker. I would think that directly over the heat source would be the better spot, but if you can get it hot enough elsewhere then why not? Congrats on the stone, it looks awesome!

Have a Blessed day!

Omar

Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

I would be concerned that stone would be too hot, under direct heat and cooking the the dough too fast,maybe even burning before the desired doneness of the top of the pie.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
gillwoody58
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Used over direct heat source on traeger and it worked great.
gillwoody58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Ponty56

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_engr View Post
I would be concerned that stone would be too hot, under direct heat and cooking the the dough too fast,maybe even burning before the desired doneness of the top of the pie.
The company says it will withstand direct heat and temps up to 2600 degrees I don't think I can get a fire that hot and the stone is 1" thick.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

The trick is to get the stone and the overall temp of the cooker at relatively around the same temp. Once you can do that, you will have great pizzas.

I look for a stone temp of about 625 degrees. Here's some pies that came out at around that temp give or take:

Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Ponty56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
The trick is to get the stone and the overall temp of the cooker at relatively around the same temp. Once you can do that, you will have great pizzas.

I look for a stone temp of about 625 degrees. Here's some pies that came out at around that temp give or take:

So a good infrared thermometer is key, do you put corn meal on the stone under your pies? About how long does it take to cook? Have a good dough recipe?