• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help with my first Pork Butt

hollywood4

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am going to try to smoke my first pork butt tomorrow (home tailgate for ILLINI vs Wisconsin) I am using a Master Forge Cabinet smoker. I have a few questions and will appreciate any advice.

1. Wood or Charcoal? Both? I have been using apple wood and Kingsford for my ribs and they've turned out good.
2. Do I need to spritz it with apple juice or water periodically or just let it cook?
3. I use 3-2-1 for my ribs, should I wrap the pork butt at any point?

Thanks for the help. :confused:

I am going to try to smoke my first pork butt tomorrow (home tailgate for ILLINI vs Wisconsin) I am using a Master Forge Cabinet smoker. I have a few questions and will appreciate any advice.

1. Wood or Charcoal? Both? I have been using apple wood and Kingsford for my ribs and they've turned out good.
2. Do I need to spritz it with apple juice or water periodically or just let it cook?
3. I use 3-2-1 for my ribs, should I wrap the pork butt at any point?

Thanks for the help. :confused:

1. I do wood and charcoal, gives it a better smoke flavor. If you are feeling like trying something new, stick to the apple wood but try some lump charcoal.

2. I don't spritz, I like a nice bark.

3. I don't wrap I just let it cook. If it is your normal 8lb or so butt give yourself plenty of time to cook it. I like to take mine to 200 - 205 for a nice easy pull.

I use all wood (Pecan) because I have a stick burner, rub and inject with apple juice and worsey the night before, then smoke that baby until it gets about 165 Internal temp or the bark color you wnat, then wrap in foil and cook until done 200+ IT. Pork butts are probably the easiest think to smoke. Mine come out perfect every time.

I'd say stick to the fire method you're familiar with, esp. for the first time out on pulled pork. I don't spritz, and I only foil if I think the bark is getting too barky or if I'm in a hurry. Allow a couple/few hours cushion - butts hold great wrapped and in a cooler - that way it'll be done on time.

#1 Pig is Pig what woks on ribs works on the rest of the critter
#2 NO! slam the door and leave it be
#3 It depends on what temp your cooking at. I run at 300+ I foil it is after4 hrs at 275 it would be around 5 hrs ( this is an approximation of when the stall begins)

I agree with gtr. Use the fire method you know. Spritzing is a waste IMO. I do not like to foil either (unless I am on a time crunch and the stall gets out of hand). I think 275 is a good temp, BTW. Cook until the bone wiggles free easily and a probe goes in like butter. Internal temp can vary.

I did a pork shoulder last weekend in the UDS @ 300, did not foil, cooked to an IT of 202 before I even looked at it, and then did the probe test and it was "like buttah".

Thanks for the tips! Ill post some pics here tomorrow and let yall know how the cook went.

Charcoal n wood Chunks - Cherry or Hickory or both , 275-300* for 7-10 hrs till the bone wiggles easily or probes tender if boneless - around 200* +\- I don't wrap cuz I like Bark.
Picnic pictured but it's all the same
null_zps6cf696e0.jpg

All above advise is spot on.
I foil sometimes and others I don't.
When I foil, I use a foil pan and cover. this is easier for me to get the juices that the butt produces to mix in after pulling it.
But either way you go I'm sure you'll do just fine

Thanks everyone. All the pics look great! I'm gonna be up at 5am tomorrow to get my fire started and I can't wait!

I like to run all wood and around 275-300 8lb butt Im looking at about 6 hrs cook time sometimes I foil ...sometimes I pan it ....sometimes I just let it roll ...my opinion is do what feels right to you but remember its all heat and meat... when its done ..its done ....enjoy

All above advise is spot on.
I foil sometimes and others I don't.
When I foil, I use a foil pan and cover. this is easier for me to get the juices that the butt produces to mix in after pulling it.
But either way you go I'm sure you'll do just fine

+1. :thumb:

These guys have given you some good tips here, it's hard to go wrong with a pork butt so dont stress

Cook went well. Injected with apple juice last nite and put my rub on. Cooked at 275 for 4 hours and then wrapped for last 2 hours to an IT of 200.
Tastes great! not bad for my first time....
P1050493.jpg

Back