Can I tackle two Chuck Rolls this way??

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking.......I dont' think they'll both fit on the drum and I don't want to cram them in there. I have recently had problems with the WSM and temp issues as well and coal getting choked out. Seems the fluids collect on the bottom of the WSM and the ash mixes with it and turns into a big old ash cake at the bottom and blocks the vents.
Anyway, I'm thinking bout borrowing my dad's Bandera clone and burning sticks. I got a chit load of pecan to burn. I'll be pulling an alnighter and a buddy of mine will be here helping me out.............by drinking beer. I will then pan em foil em and finish them in the GOSM gasser. I'll be using the GOSM as an outdoor oven. It's just too dang hot to run the oven in the house for 8+ hours. I'm dealing with a 22 and 23 Lb roll.

I figure these big old hunks of beef can take plenty of smoke.

What you all think?? Bubba's success with these has put me a little more at ease with doing them.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Or you could do one of the drum and one on the UDS.

Heres some more info to add to your planning.....
With 1 and a half chucks on the drum, the temp never got up past 200*, and that was wide open!
The shear mass of meat was part of the problem, but the amount of juices these things put out kept the coals from getting very hot.
I still ran 14 hrs on about 8 lbs of charcoal, which is great, but this was literally a low n slow cook!
Bandera will give you a faster cook, but not the flavor from the juices hitting the coals. :cool:

Well I think Bubba has a point with flavor from the drum.....but you have to do what you have to do. Just for another perspective, here is a visual of a 22 pound chuck roll cut in half and a brisket flat cooking at once.

DSC05269JPGb.jpg

Later they had shrunk enough for me to squeeze 2 pastrami on there.

DSC05291JPGc.jpg

2750648141_505d5e4174_o.jpg

Here they are. I need to see if they fit on the drum. Maybe I can stand them up on their side. I just worry about them blocking exhaust and choking out the fuel. Also, weather has been rainy and very humid. I worry that all that humidity will keep the drum temps even lower. I don't mind temps in the low 200's, but less than that will make for one long arse cook. While I give up the flavor from the coals on the clone, quicker cooking time and higher temps could be a good thing.

Bubba, did these things release so much liquid that it pooled at the bottom of the drum? The other thing is that I need to work on the drum a bit and make it more air tight. I might go mess with it right now.

I got the week to think about it a little bit more.:-D

2750648141_505d5e4174_o.jpg

Here they are. I need to see if they fit on the drum. Maybe I can stand them up on their side. I just worry about them blocking exhaust and choking out the fuel. Also, weather has been rainy and very humid. I worry that all that humidity will keep the drum temps even lower. I don't mind temps in the low 200's, but less than that will make for one long arse cook. While I give up the flavor from the coals on the clone, quicker cooking time and higher temps could be a good thing.

Bubba, did these things release so much liquid that it pooled at the bottom of the drum? The other thing is that I need to work on the drum a bit and make it more air tight. I might go mess with it right now.

I got the week to think about it a little bit more.:-D

Just drill 3 more holes, install another set of bolts, and move the drum grate down a little to gain some extra room from the top. If you don't need the holes in the future, you can install some 1/2" bolts just to plug the holes. :cool:

I thought of adding another grate, but with the kettle flange, I didn't want to muck with it. Plus I won't have the time during the week to do this. What I might do is suspend a 18.5 kettle grate above the 22.5 to add the extra tier. I'm thinking about it.

I did however mess with the drum and it is now air tight with the help of some foil gaskets and some easy bending of the lid where it meets the flange. Almost a 97% seal. I'll have it to perfect by Thursday. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

Start one on UDS and one on WSM. As one on UDS shrinks and temp issue on WSM gets to be a problem shift it to UDS. Heat mass should be ok by then.

Back