Help with consistency

WvQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I certainly could use some advice... I seem to have trouble getting my pork butt to come out the same from one cook to the next. I did one about a month ago and it was great, the last two are good, but are milder in flavor. The rub is the same, the wood is the same, although the age of the maple could be different? The brand of pork was wal mart the first time, a local butcher the next and Kroger's the last. Do you tend to see a difference from cook to cook?

I certainly could use some advice... I seem to have trouble getting my pork butt to come out the same from one cook to the next. I did one about a month ago and it was great, the last two are good, but are milder in flavor. The rub is the same, the wood is the same, although the age of the maple could be different? The brand of pork was wal mart the first time, a local butcher the next and Kroger's the last. Do you tend to see a difference from cook to cook?

Keep a log book of your temperature, and the length of your cooks, this will give you an average to work with. Not all meats are equal even though they are the same type (Butts).

The length of time cooking and internal temperatures do not tell you when it is done. They are merely mile markers to tell you you may be close. Some people like to probe for tenderness, I prefer to wiggle the bone to test for being done.

Good luck

• Thanks
Reactions: WvQ
I know at least around here Wally weird carries Tyson Pork butts and it is all enhanced pork it won't buy it if has a funny texture IMO. Your local butcher's meat most likely isn't, Kroger I have no idea, if the meat supplied was the only variable I think you found your issue.

Try a few cooks in a row with the meat coming from the same source. If you have a sam's club try those butts. That's the only place I go any more. Consistant every time for me. I used to go to the local butcher shop for years but it became hit and miss.

Thanks for the advice from everyone, I think the meat could be the difference? Does the age of the wood make any difference, meaning green or wood cut several years ago. Maybe I'm over thinking this?

I hada char griller with the side fire box. It was always a lot of workto keep the pit temp consistent, and I found the gauge in the lid wasn't very accurate.

I agree, try the same meat source as well...but keep an eye on those temps.

+1 on using the same brand.

If the first one was all natural (not enhanced) and the other 2 were enhanced, the extra moisture may have in effect watered down the smoke/rub flavors. I get my meat from a couple different places, but i try to stick with the same brand every time because I know how it will come out. If I do use a different brand, I try to account for that with my cooking & seasoning methods.

Does the age of the wood make any difference, meaning green or wood cut several years ago.

I've never used green wood, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I believe I read somewhere that green wood produces more soot, which has a bitter, burnt flavor. On the other hand, some competition guys swear by using green peach wood, so who knows?

According to the butcher at my local Krogers, all their pork is enhanced. To me it all has a hammy flavor.

Thanks for the advice from everyone, I think the meat could be the difference? Does the age of the wood make any difference, meaning green or wood cut several years ago. Maybe I'm over thinking this?

Yes the age of the wood does make a difference. Green vs cut several years ago you will notice a difference in smoke quality. However you will probably notice more of a difference in your finished product enhanced meat vs all natural meat.

I stay away from Kroger pork and chicken because it is all enhanced. The only time you will see me walk out of Kroger with some pork or chicken is if they have a ridiculously good sale.

All the chicken and pork at my Walmarts is enhanced, I've never tried it for Q. I get the same brand meat at the local supermarket minus the "6-12% solution added" for the same price.

Back