MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #46
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoolsbyMD View Post
Gotta get the amoroso rolls, you have to. My wife is a cheese wiz girl and I'm a provolone guy, load it up with onions and peppers. Now if you want the best sub, for me its hands down a Bobbie from Capriottis but thats a different subject.
I'll have to look up Amoroso rolls on The Fresh Loaf http://thefreshloaf.com

.. and then make them at home fresh :)

EDIT: Hrm thought they were a type of roll.. looks like it's a brand lol. Show's how much I know about them.

Use some thinly sliced ribeye, provolone, caramelized onions, bell pepper & mushrooms .. mmm mmm mmmmm.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #47
marclwise
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic you can get Amoroso rolls at any Wawa but ordering them at the sandwich counter. If not, you can get a sub, hoagie or hero roll. It should be a somewhat soft, white-flour based roll. The next step with any of the rolls, including Amorosos, is to put them in an oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes to slightly crisp the outside. A convection oven is even faster. The key is an ever so slight crunch on the outside and completely soft inside.
marclwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #48
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

BBQGeekess, I am starting to think we are long lost relatives or soul mates. We think too much a like.

Only thing I would do differently on that sandwich is sub some jalapeno's for the bell peppers...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #49
jafo28
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
Exactly. And I agree. Provolone is where it's at.
Yes, provolone is it. Tony Luke's is far better than Pat's or Geno's also.
jafo28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 AM   #50
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclwise View Post
If you live in the Mid-Atlantic you can get Amoroso rolls at any Wawa but ordering them at the sandwich counter. If not, you can get a sub, hoagie or hero roll. It should be a somewhat soft, white-flour based roll. The next step with any of the rolls, including Amorosos, is to put them in an oven at 375 for 5-10 minutes to slightly crisp the outside. A convection oven is even faster. The key is an ever so slight crunch on the outside and completely soft inside.
Hrm. I don't live in that area. I just asked my friends on The Fresh Loaf what the best homemade bread would be for a Philly Cheesesteak sammich. I'll find out, bake a loaf, make the sandwich.. then share with ya all later with photos.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #51
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Cheese wiz is nasty.
Not at 4AM outside Pat's Steaks with 15 beers in you......

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #52
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Shaved Rib eye. Ameroso hoagie roll and American cheese. Cheese wiz is nasty.
Agreed +1...can't forget fried onions though for the real deal.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #53
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Shaved Rib eye. Ameroso hoagie roll and American cheese. Cheese wiz is nasty.
This nails it as far as "Authentic Philly" also have some fried onions and peppers as well. case they want it "wit".
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #54
BBQinMI
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQinMI View Post
Just read this thread and now cheesesteaks are on the menu for later this week
Just polished off dinner. So later in the week meant the next day.

Not authentic by any means

Venison steak thinly sliced, provolone cheese, peppers, mushrooms, onions on a french roll. Tasted superb and went fast enough there was no pictures
BBQinMI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #55
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQinMI View Post
Just polished off dinner. So later in the week meant the next day.

Not authentic by any means

Venison steak thinly sliced, provolone cheese, peppers, mushrooms, onions on a french roll. Tasted superb and went fast enough there was no pictures
Wish I could run across a hunter that would sell me venison on the cheap if I help him/her process it with grinder, cure etc. :)

Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #56
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

If I'm eating a genos or pats type steak which is sliced rib eye I am getting provolone..
If it's a chopped type steak like Jim's serves I'm ordering wiz...
A cheesesteak is the only time I will ever eat cheese wiz. There are many, many places that make great cheesesteaks in Philly and each is just a little different.

Pats style:

Jim's style:

Now some places use a cheese sauce blend of american and sharp cheese much like chickie and Pete's does with their fries. Steve's prince of steak is one that comes to mind so even though it's a sliced steak I go with the american cheese as it's a really good sauce not just slices of cheese.
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #57
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffry1970 View Post
If I'm eating a genos or pats type steak which is sliced rib eye I am getting provolone..
If it's a chopped type steak like Jim's serves I'm ordering wiz...
A cheesesteak is the only time I will ever eat cheese wiz. There are many, many places that make great cheesesteaks in Philly and each is just a little different.

Pats style:

Jim's style:

Now some places use a cheese sauce blend of american and sharp cheese much like chickie and Pete's does with their fries. Steve's prince of steak is one that comes to mind so even though it's a sliced steak I go with the american cheese as it's a really good sauce not just slices of cheese.
That second one looks GREAT!

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #58
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

The first was done for a promo photo or something. They are usually dripping with grease and you have to do the philly lean to keep it off your shirt...also the onions look almost raw. They always have a big pile of diced onions on the griddle never raw.

Lived in philly my whole life and can't imagine no good cheesesteaks.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #59
LMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
1.) What make the magical PA Italian Hoagie roll, whomever you choose as the bakery and several were mentioned, so good? What's the magic? Most of these places don't ship and freshness seems to be a crucial key. I have access to some great hoagie rolls here and can get them fresh that day. What's the consensus on that? I was thinking 7"-8" rolls.
I have always heard it is the water... who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
2.) When slicing the rib-eye I'm assuming across the grain and remove all of the outside fat before trimming. I would think a good marbled rib-eye would work fine. So am I on track with the trimming? Also I thought about 3/4 lb of meat per sammie.
We used to slice our beef when it was just a little frozen - on a huge automatic slicer that could take your arm off if you weren't careful. I don't recall it being trimmed to within an inch of it's life, but also don't recall a lot of exterior fat. It was sliced paper thin - which is the only way to go...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #60
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

Philly cheesesteaks aren't really fatty,I don't know if it's trimmed off or what the story is. As for the bread I always heard it was a combo of water and altitude.
Some say the submarine sandwich got it's name in Atlantic city because the bread was baked below sea level.
I say it has to be the water. Lots of places in the philly area that make homemade mozzarella import water from different areas of Philly and New York so maybe the same goes for bread. Kinda like bagels from NYC, same thing.