Need help with Presentations

F

Fyrman_Mike

These were our presentation boxes from the Arthur, IL KCBS competition. We were in the "Backyard" competition.

Please give me some feedback as to where to improve. Our averaged score for the appearance of the ribs was 8.00, and chix was 7.8.
I know that the ribs are upside down and should have had the bones toward the front and the single rib should have been to the back.

My wonderful wife was the one who made up the base boxes. Wish I had a photo! (A golf tee and ball would have completed the look!)

RibBox.jpg

ChickenBox.jpg

Thank you for the input!:thumb:

I don't think the position matters but the cuts look jagged and could they be from different ribs? The chicken could be a bit darker. Almost looks like the sauce is too thick. Remember, appearance is the least scored. Work on taste and tenderness first.

I don't think the position matters but the cuts look jagged and could they be from different ribs? The chicken could be a bit darker. Almost looks like the sauce is too thick. Remember, appearance is the least scored. Work on taste and tenderness first.

Ribs were from single slab except the single one. Chix was sauced, but ran out of time to set the glaze. My ribs were perfect prior to boxing, but I forgot to factor in the judge factor. (Meat continuing to cook after boxed.) I would imagine the meat was a little overdone by the time the judges tasted it.

How does everyone get such a clean cut? Razor sharp knife?

Ribs were from single slab except the single one. Chix was sauced, but ran out of time to set the glaze. My ribs were perfect prior to boxing, but I forgot to factor in the judge factor. (Meat continuing to cook after boxed.) I would imagine the meat was a little overdone by the time the judges tasted it.

How does everyone get such a clean cut? Razor sharp knife?

Yup, a sharp knife gives you a clean cut. I don't know if you did this but don't ever use a serrated knife on your turn in as it can give you a jagged cut.

No pork or Brisket as this was a backyard comp.

I used an electric knife. It was serated though. Guess I will try the sharp knife next time.

Appearance scores for the ribs were good, but I averaged 6.2 on Texture and 7.0 for Taste.

Appearance scores for Chix averaged 7.4 for Texture and 7.2 for Taste.

No pork or Brisket as this was a backyard comp.

I used an electric knife. It was serated though. Guess I will try the sharp knife next time.

Appearance scores for the ribs were good, but I averaged 6.2 on Texture and 7.0 for Taste.

Appearance scores for Chix averaged 7.4 for Texture and 7.2 for Taste.

Looks to me like a little work on taste and tenderness/texture is needed. This forum is a good place to be when looking for answers.

I think both boxes look very good. you might go lighter on the sauce for the chicken, and touch up the sauce on the ribs so it looks more uniform, even a little apple juice spritz to shine them up.

OK, first the 5 second rule. I look at the box as if I only had 5 seconds like in live judging.

Ribs - 7-8 They look a bit dry and almost 'Dusty'. I'm sure that it's just the photo. Also, the one on the bottom looks like it was nicked.

Chicken - 8 They are a bit light on color and thick on the sauce. I understand you didn't get a chance to set the sauce, but I would have gone with a thinner sauce.
Over all, it looks like you're really getting there!

Now is when I get picky. Please don't think I'm ripping you a new one, these are just things that I look for when I do my boxes....
Ribs:
As I said above, they look a bit dry on the surface. A little mist of water could correct that. The rib on the bottom not only looks out of place, but it has a nick on the right side. As I've said, I really like the look of a full box rather than the minimum quantity required.

Chicken:
Overall, I think you did good. Again as I've said above, I would have liked a thinner sauce layer and of course, the sauce set. I would have also liked to see more of a uniform size and shape. The two on the lower portion of the box are an example.
Again, over all, not a bad job!

I agree with divemaster, make your chicken uniform. Also, the middle one on the right looks like it has a fingerprint on it, I would brush that out.

Ribs - 7-8 They look a bit dry and almost 'Dusty'. I'm sure that it's just the photo. Also, the one on the bottom looks like it was nicked.

Chicken - 8 They are a bit light on color and thick on the sauce. I understand you didn't get a chance to set the sauce, but I would have gone with a thinner sauce.
Over all, it looks like you're really getting there!

Now is when I get picky. Please don't think I'm ripping you a new one, these are just things that I look for when I do my boxes....
Ribs:
As I said above, they look a bit dry on the surface. A little mist of water could correct that. The rib on the bottom not only looks out of place, but it has a nick on the right side. As I've said, I really like the look of a full box rather than the minimum quantity required.

Chicken:
Overall, I think you did good. Again as I've said above, I would have liked a thinner sauce layer and of course, the sauce set. I would have also liked to see more of a uniform size and shape. The two on the lower portion of the box are an example.​

Thank you for the constructive critisism. It is greatly appreciated. Nothing worse than someone blowing smoke! (No Pun Intended!)

THe ribs were dry on the outside. Forot this was competition and not home. Cooked with a rub on and a light coat of sauce that was set on. Definately will fix next time. I am sure that the dryness factored into the taste/tenderness scoring.

The chicken was a disaster for us. 3rd time cooking chix. Had 48 thighs and these were the only ones that were done.

Again thank you for the help.

Thank you for the constructive criticism. It is greatly appreciated. Nothing worse than someone blowing smoke! (No Pun Intended!)
Not a problem... We are all here to help each other out!

The ribs were dry on the outside. Forgot this was competition and not home. Cooked with a rub on and a light coat of sauce that was set on. Definitely will fix next time. I am sure that the dryness factored into the taste/tenderness scoring.
Trust me, we've all been there and had to deal with the confusion between "Real" and "Competition" cooking. To solve this, we actually have a competition cook book we work out of. This book contains all of the timing and recipe steps for each of the meats. Oh, and yes, it stays locked in my truck when not in use!

The chicken was a disaster for us. 3rd time cooking chix. Had 48 thighs and these were the only ones that were done.
First let me say that I hate chicken. I hate cooking it, and most of all I hate prepping it for a comp. That's the reason I do it at home and then cryo-suck it in packages of 9. This gives me the 'opportunity' to purchase more if I need it to fill out what I need for a competition.

While I normally only cook 16 and try to turn in 8 (full box theory again), I start the trimming process with over 25 thighs. I trim them all out and pick the best 18. Because of my 'love' for chicken, I don't trust myself to pick out the best 16 so I give my self a couple of extra just in case and I reject the final 2 at the competition.

Back