• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any wood is good for smoking.. as long as its Cherry.

Update from KCMO Parks Dept

I was finally able, yesterday, to talk to one of the Urban Foresters in the KCMO Parks Department. He has to check in to the formalities, but he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to get a tree planted in a park up there. He said that he though the best way would be to issue a tree planting permit and then let the Brethren take it from there. That way, the City isn't receiving any sort of donation directly, and doesn't have to use manpower to plant it.

He sounded like it might be possible to have a plaque of some sort placed along with the tree. It may, however, create a maintenance issue that they don't want to deal with. It seems to me that a small plaque mounted flush with the ground would be the way to go. It might eventually get overgrown, though. Something to think about.

He's supposed to call me back in the next couple of days with more information. Does anyone in the area have suggestions for locations? I am completely unfamiliar with anything about Kansas City. Also, are there hands available to plant the tree? Does any one know of good nurseries in the area from whom to buy trees?

Shohn, thanks so much for following up.

im sure we can get hands to plant..

I will also look into getting a plaque made that can be mounted to the tree... (if i remember correctly they grow from the top, so something placed at 6 foot high will stay there. Keep us posted.

I am grabbing an 8-10 foot cherry tree tomorrow to plant at the bash. I just talked to a buddy that works at a shop that can whip out memorial plates in nothing flat. I will follow up with him next week and hopefully get them together in about 2 weeks or so.

Wow, I never got to meet KC but I thought of him several times this week. One of my current projects is recreating a park and a fountain that was demolished in the early 1900's. With all of the hardscape structure in place we began with the installation of all the "green" structures. The first eight trees planted were 'Akebono' cherries, these are ornamental rather than fruit berring trees but still in the cherry (Prunus) family. When I stepped back and looked at the newly installed trees I thought of KC and all the tributes that were sent with him. Hopefully in some small way this can serve as another, it will for me any way. I thought you guys might enjoy those thoughts, I'll try to post pics in the next couple of weeks. KC lives on in Gaffney, South Carolina.

There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.

I got married in the glass chapel at Powell Gardens. Anyone from the KC area knows it's a beautiful place.

Back