MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
bulldawgbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Rookie needing advice

Brethren, I just joined the forum because I need advice about smokers. I currently don't have one, mainly due to the fact that I am in college and tend to move somewhat frequently and cash is a little tight. I plan to buy a nice smoker when I graduate next year and will be living somewhere on a more permanent basis. A friend of mine came back to town to tailgate this past weekend and brought his Stump's Smoker with him. I proceeded to fall in love with it, but I want to get some opinions from guys with other types of grills. Has anyone else worked with a stumps? Were you pleased? What else compares to a stumps? Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated.
bulldawgbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

What kind of $$$ can you spend? Under $500 - no brainer, get a WSM. $1000 + you got lots of great options. FWIW, stay away from anything with the word Brinkmann on it. I used the heck out of my Brinkmann off-set but came to realize that a WSM is worth every penny more than something you'll find at a big box hardware store.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
bulldawgbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm hoping to be able to spend up to 1500 on one by next june or july. I don't want to buy a lesser smoker first and then be unsatisfied later. I'd rather wait a little bit and then go big

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbbq View Post
I'm hoping to be able to spend up to 1500 on one by next june or july. I don't want to buy a lesser smoker first and then be unsatisfied later. I'd rather wait a little bit and then go big
Build a UDS, if you absolutely had to leave it behind it would only be a small loss!!. Then at your next location just build another. The money saved could go toward meat and gadgets.

If you could take it with you just clean it out and use it to help you move .

JMHO...........

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
3 Rivers BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

What are your plans for the smoker? Just home use or are you looking at competition, catering? If just for home, then start small, and go from there.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

The 22.5 WSM at around $350 is one cooking machine that can do it all !!!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Build a UDS, if you absolutely had to leave it behind it would only be a small loss!!. Then at your next location just build another. The money saved could go toward meat and gadgets.

If you could take it with you just clean it out and use it to help you move .

JMHO...........

Paul B
^^^^^^^^
What he said..... you can't go wrong with a UDS and you'll enjoy some nice que while waiting for the nice new toy you have in mind....my $.02.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
bulldawgbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

3 Rivers: I have a large family and i like to have a lot of friends over, so i want to get one that would allow me to cook enough ribs (my favorite) to feed at least 15-20 people.
As far as the UDS goes, how do I make one? What will the materials cost to make it?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawgbbq View Post
3 Rivers: I have a large family and i like to have a lot of friends over, so i want to get one that would allow me to cook enough ribs (my favorite) to feed at least 15-20 people.
As far as the UDS goes, how do I make one? What will the materials cost to make it?
Oh man oh man! Get your reading glasses.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

You can spend from $25 - $250 on a UDS. I had around $30 in my first one. Once you have a UDS, you won't be looking for another cooker for a long time. It will easily handle enough ribs for 15 - 20 people. I have cooked 7 butts on mine at once. That was the most for me at one time. Started at just over 60 pounds on the grates.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Stumps, love it, and would recommend one without hesitation.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
Oh man oh man! Get your reading glasses.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

You can spend from $25 - $250 on a UDS. I had around $30 in my first one. Once you have a UDS, you won't be looking for another cooker for a long time. It will easily handle enough ribs for 15 - 20 people. I have cooked 7 butts on mine at once. That was the most for me at one time. Started at just over 60 pounds on the grates.
ditto...add this one to your required reading list...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Stumps is awesome, same for FEC's. However, the recommendations above are
correct. In this case, start cheap and VERY effective. Then, when you have a
few more dollars, really go get a nice one.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

I also second third, whatever the stumps. While I didnt want to buy one, and built a clone instead (36x36x24 cook area) and I did it for 1000. and I LOVE IT. cooks great, long burn time, lots of area, and produces great food. Look into spice wines too, I have heard they are great too

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a Stumps Baby and love it. However, when I first began (which was about eight years ago) I started out on a very cheap low end grill/smoker offset.

The old timers will tell you that it's not the smoker it's the cook and ultimately they're right. Smokers like Stumps, FEC, Backwoods and other "expensive" units cut the "Baby sittin" of your unit WAY DOWN. But here's what they won't do:

1. They won't teach you that putting your meat in your unit while thick, gray and white smoke are puffing out of your smoker will make your Q taste like crap.

2. They won't teach you that having a good, hot, "clean" fire produces the best Q.

3. They won't teach you that soaking your wood chunks in water will make your fire smolder which will hinder point number 2 on this list and produce point number 1.

I guess my point is that the things that keep people from making great Q has nothing to do with the smoker but more to do with what the user knows or doesn't know about cooking meat on a grill/smoker. Experience accompanied with trial and error will ultimately make you a good Q'er.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

UDS, so simple a bulldog fan can do it.

Geaux Tigers
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote