Wrapping Brisket in Butcher Paper?

I've seen it in this video Capozzoli posted awhile back.

YouTube - ‪Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School: Texas BBQ‬‏

I've never wrapped a brisket with anything (not saying I won't sometime), but butcher paper sure is great to lay down on your work area for keeping it clean. :thumb:

Thanks for the video! I don't know about some of his advice but at least it was entertaining! Seems like is brisket is death by pepper.... But he used that technique explained in the blog post, which is making me more anxious to try it!

I rest all my briskys and butts in butcher paper. I don't use them in the smoker though. My personal opinion is that you end up with a better bark, since your bark doesn't get steamed as much compared to foil during the rest.

I rest all my briskys and butts in butcher paper. I don't use them in the smoker though. My personal opinion is that you end up with a better bark, since your bark doesn't get steamed as much compared to foil during the rest.

Right, that seems to be what I'm seeing. So wrapping in paper during the cook would prevent oversmoking and drying the meat out while also keeping a better bark than foil. Sounds more than good enough to me for a try

Thanks for the video! I don't know about some of his advice but at least it was entertaining! Seems like is brisket is death by pepper.... But he used that technique explained in the blog post, which is making me more anxious to try it!

You gotta learn the code to understand Brother Funk. I'm still in the process haha!

Although the amount of pepper sounds absolutely gratuitous, you would be amazed at how much it mellows out in the heat and smoke. It does still have a nice bite, but very mild compared to what most would assume.

the most important thing to remember about funks brisket is: if you alter the technique and even at times the pit itself, the rub tastes like crap... the rub was dialed in to the Old Texas way of smoking--- the pepper mellows out as long as you do not wrap it before its done. Otherwise, the heat stays, will not oxidize with the smoke and worse, will make a really peppery aus jus. Same thing goes for the salt.

You REALLY have to know what you are doing to attempt this. The minute you have honed your skills enough to be able to HEAR a brisket pass the stall... you are ready to attempt.

i've wrapped them in BP both back on the cooker and just to rest. very good results both ways, but 2 different cooking processes.
my only caveat with BP is not getting the drippings like you can with foil.
but i'm stockpiling now:becky:

Franklins BBQ is amazing, as it seems he is on the forefront of wrapping his Brisket in the paper. The bark is like that sugar topping on creme brulee, crunchy and amazing, the meat full of smoke. Thought about it, but finding small rolls, i mean who needs a 1000 ft, was cost prohibitive.

I've seen it in this video Capozzoli posted awhile back.

YouTube - ‪Robert Rodriguez's 10-Minute Cooking School: Texas BBQ‬‏

I've never wrapped a brisket with anything (not saying I won't sometime), but butcher paper sure is great to lay down on your work area for keeping it clean. :thumb:

OK seems I want to make this for my next cook I watched the video and took notes. I will post what he said along with my own questions..

Ribs:
-Chuck Beef Ribs (not short)
-rub is a 90% pepper 10% salt mixture, sprinkle and rub on
-Grate Temp 300-325* with a pan of Sauce next to ribs
-cook Meet Side up and closer to the heat source
-after 1.5 hours wrap in Butchers Paper and smoke for 2 more hours

Brisket:
-less than 9lbs
-Grate Temp 275-325
-Cook fat side up
-smoke for 1 hour per lbs. then wrap in Butchers Paper for 2 more hours

Questions:
1) I will be using my UDS should the ribs be on the top rack, since it seems there is more heat higher up? (Also I may have to b/c of space. I'm not sure if the brisket would fit on my top rack)
2) I assume that there are packers that weight 6-9 lbs. Last time the butcher gave me 2 flats b/c of the amount of meat I needed. Is there anything I should ask from the butcher or order it a special way?
3) Does anyone think that 3.5 hours is too little for beef ribs? I wonder how many I can place on my UDS... I had 3 full racks of baby backs per grate last time.
4) I think I am going to try fat cap side up... does anyone think I should do it w/the cap down due to it being cooked on an UDS?

Thanks in advance!!

That's a different twist for sure!!!! Seems like an experimental weekend coming up.

Back