MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Weber Smokey Joe - Camping

Havent been on in a while, started a new job a month ago. Well I sold my green weber smokey joe to a fellow brethren since I didnt think I would use it. As it happens, we are going camping in a month so I do have a use for it. Searching craigslist I go and find a smokey joe silver new in box. Got it for $10 :) Cant wait to go camping!

What are some of your fav things to make on it for camping besides the usual burgers/dogs/sausage? Ive thought about making a mini but not sure I feel like doing it.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes make a mini!!!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Fwismoker

With the mini you can do everything...wings, butts, ribs, burgers, whole chickens.. etc... etc...

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
peeps

Do a mini....then you can so short smokes as the sun goes down or hot and fast grilling if you get a late start on dinner.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
twofishy4u
Knows what a fatty is.

I made a mini WSM with a 15 gallon barrel with about 6-8" cut off the bottom. Then I grinded the edge down so it fit inside the sj bottom and the lid fits perfect on the top. 2 grates and a stainless dog bowl of a water dish and this thing travels all over with us. Be sure to use lump only and if you can make a deflector from an old can or something so the ash doesn't bury the vent holes on the bottom of the Sj. Works great for ribs or any shorter cooks below 6hrs.
twofishy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofishy4u View Post
Works great for ribs or any shorter cooks below 6hrs.
Below 6 hours?? I've had my mini going 9 hours @ 275 on KB... it was a butt cook but only needed 8 hours. If a cook needed more it cant be easier to refuel.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
caseydog

I am going camping this weekend, starting tomorrow. It is a five day event.

We do a pot luck on Saturday, and I always do grilled chicken legs, with just salt and pepper. They disappear. I'll be making them again on a Weber SJP (platinum -- jumbo Joe).

In the past, I have done MOINK balls on a mini WSM for "happy hour," and people have loved them.

For my own private cooks this weekend, I am grilling some pork loin chops soaked in Stubb's Pork Marinade, and on Sunday, I'm grilling up a USDA Choice ribeye.

I cured and smoked some tasso a couple of weeks ago for a big group gumbo cook for Friday.

Something about camping and cooking outdoors just makes for a fantastic eating experience.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 10-23-2013 at 11:48 PM..
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

make sure that where you are going allows charcoal cooking.
otherwise, yea, make a mini. you won't regret it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You sold a GREEN WSJ?!! This is further proof that you should never get rid of your grills. You never know when your going to need them. At least that's what I keep telling my wife.

How about some wings or pork tenderloins.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
warhawk_83
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

Something about camping and cooking outdoors just makes for a fantastic eating experience.

CD
This is pure truth. Pure.
warhawk_83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Mini's are great. I do reverse seared chick wangs on mine all the time. It's helpful to have a second grate handy for finishing off on the grill. Minis are Super easy to use, especially if you have to add coals or wood.