Q's to ask for a used pellet smoker

jabostick

Reaction score
I found a decent deal on a Yoder YS480 and was going to inquire about it. It's a couple hours away from me so I'm curious if there are any questions I should ask to know if it's worthwhile to drive out to look at it.

For example, are there any model updates that are worth knowing what year it was built or any common trouble spots to look for?

It seems to be in good shape from the pics (i.e. no visible rusting) but they're pretty low quality pics. It's the comp cart model, if that matters.

The Manufacture date is on a plate, on the lid. If it is in good shape, and working, I wouldn't worry about too much else, if the price is right. As far as I know, any updates that Yoder has done, are backwards compatible with older models. I would find out what upgrades have been done, so you can figure out a price point. The add ons can add up in a hurry. cover, 2 piece diffuser, grill grates, thermal jacket.

They're asking $2500 for it (it includes the cover, but not sure what else yet). I'd still want to negotiate some more but around here, the comp cart and cover would be close to $4000, I think.

Obviously the market is very different there than here in the US, but I'm sure shipping, taxes and import fees are still a big chunk of the new price in canada.

I could have gone to Costco and purchased whatever brand they currently had for what I spent in shipping to get a comp cart delivered to me. That was a hard pill to swallow. If I could have found a used Yoder within a drivable distance that was in decent condition @ 60% of new I'd have probably gone used rather than new.

I would negotiate as though the cover had zero or little value to you... regardless of how you feel.

The two piece diffuser and extra shelves inside would have some value to me if it has those options.

Ouch thats a lot for a 480 even if it comes with a comp cart. I almost purchased a YS640 w/comp cart (brand new) for $2300 shipped.

Ouch thats a lot for a 480 even if it comes with a comp cart. I almost purchased a YS640 w/comp cart (brand new) for $2300 shipped.

Yeah, the posts above made me think that if I should browse around the US dealers first and figure out the cost to get a new one (after duty, taxes, exchange rate, etc). Would give me a good comparison anyway.

Back