MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #1
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal
Default Pellet folks...couple questions...

ok, so I am going to apologize now about the all pellet questions I am going to post in the very near future.

So anyway, those of you that have pellet grills, now that you don't need to baby sit all night and are able to do other things like yard work, going shopping etc...do you still like hot and fast or low and slow? Do you still cook the same way? Do certain things come out better H&F or L&S? Thanks
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I cook nearly the same on both. Maybe slightly lower on pellet, but not much. Ribs at 275 on pellet grills have always been my favorite way to do ribs. Something about ribs and pellet grills work.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

It's a matter of personal preference. I still prefer low and slow on my Memphis Pro.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilliams View Post
ok, so I am going to apologize now about the all pellet questions I am going to post in the very near future.

So anyway, those of you that have pellet grills, now that you don't need to baby sit all night and are able to do other things like yard work, going shopping etc...do you still like hot and fast or low and slow? Do you still cook the same way? Do certain things come out better H&F or L&S? Thanks
I plan accordingly to babysit a cooker because it's a labor I enjoy. If I didn't like doing it I would just order carry out BBQ. That's just me. Anyhow, I've been much more impressed with my buddy's low and slow Rec Tec over hot and fast. I honestly can barely taste any smoke profile when he does brisket HAF.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
tom b

I cook most stuff at 275 but I'm trying lower tomorrow, we shall see

Old 05-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
I plan accordingly to babysit a cooker because it's a labor I enjoy. If I didn't like doing it I would just order carry out BBQ. That's just me. Anyhow, I've been much more impressed with my buddy's low and slow Rec Tec over hot and fast. I honestly can barely taste any smoke profile when he does brisket HAF.
Don't get me wrong, I still have a Weber 22 and a Smokey Joe w/ Cajun Bandit ring if I do feel like babysitting and want charcoal/wood chunk flavor.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I find the Rectec works best when I go low and slow and therefore normally use it when I'm cooking overnight. Most of the time when I need a decent volume, i.e., when I'm having a party, I need to do a bunch of things to get ready for it so don't have time to babysit a cooker. The pellet has the capacity and ease I need for those situations and the overnight timeline is perfect for the low temps that seem to work best. I also use it occasionally when I need the capacity for chicken at which point I will use a higher heat -- but for chicken I'm not looking for much smoke flavor either.

When it's just the family on nice weekend day I use the kettle and cook hotter and during the day.

I've always wanted a stick burner with decent size but I've realized is that for me, I need the capacity on something really easy like the pellet and can easily live with something smaller (and that can go hot and fast) for the times when I want to hang out cooking during the afternoon.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

I use my Rec Tec Stampede mainly low and slow.
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Brandon_Lutz
Got Wood.

I cook the same I always have. Low and slow for most things. Now when I cook something that requires hot and fast I go back to my kettle or BSK.

I like cooking on all my cookers though. The Gridiron for me just makes things super convenient. However the basics still apply. You have to know your times and temps for the food you are cooking and I still check things at certain intervals. Just like I would if I was cooking on the stick burner or any of my charcoal smokers.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #10
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Can I ask what a BSK is?

Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #11
cfi1234
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Smokin' Chemtrails

I prefer to cook ribs, pork butt, brisket..etc at 250...if you go hot and fast on a pellet smoker the amount of smoke will be lighter than if you go low and slow. I only go high with poultry...usually 325.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #12
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

If you want more smoke flavor, you definitely want to start of as low as your pellet smoker can go without burning out. With the Rectec controller on Extreme smoke setting, it hovers around 180F-190F with a consistent thin blue smoke in bursts. For Ribs you want at least 2 hours of smoke, for Butts and Briskets, 3-4 hours. Then wrap and raise temps to anywhere from 225F to 265F until probe tender. At least thats my method, and has worked well for me.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #13
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all....

Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I start out lower, around 225 for a couple hours, then ramp up to 275 or 300. I'm still getting used to starting earlier. Kind of annoying after all these years of cooking 300-325. I never cook overnight or leave the house while a cooker is running.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I am a long time BGE user and a 1 month old owner of a pellet grill (YS640).
I don't know that I cook any different than before.
My low and slow cooks I now do on the YS640 and they are easier and more controlled.
My hot and fast stays on the BGE pretty much unchanged.
I love the convenience and control of the pellet pooper, but, its still to me a low and slow platform. Not that it can't do hot and fast, but, already have the bugs worked out of hot and fast on the BGE
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote