MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
raynchk
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Mac

For the cook I hung the ribs and turkey. The center part of the hanging rack gave me a little problem (it fell off) but it made it easy to get the turkey in and out of the drum. When I was pulling the ribs, one rack of ribs pulled through the hook and fell on the firebox. I hooked it 2 bones down as I usually do. I used a PBC hook which are a little bigger and I think that was the one that pulled through.

I also used a pit barrel turkey hanger and that worked pretty good, but I had one wing that was hanging away from the carcass and I probably should have trussed it as it got a little black. I cooked 2 racks of baby backs and 1 rack of St Louis ribs and a 13 pound turkey. Start to finish was about 4 hours. Made sides of coleslaw and frijoles borrachos (drunken beans) for the 6 people that came. Everybody raved about the ribs and turkey. I was surprised by how well the turkey came out, I brined it but forgot to inject so I was expecting it to be dry. Came out moist with good smoke flavor. I used pecan chunks for smoke and Royal Oak briks for the cook.

One of my guests brought a chiletepin salsa, made with locally grown chiletepin peppers. Thin salsa but hot and it was great on the ribs and turkey. Doubt if I will ever do bbq sauce again. For the past year I've been using the pit barrel jr and in my opinion the flavor and texture of ribs came out much better.

In the past I've had a 'Good One' trailer smoker, a couple of off set stick burners, a weber with a center smoker modification, a Vision kamodo, and a pit barrel jr. I've gotta say that this Hunsaker is the best of the bunch for heat control, ease of clean up and portability. I think the vortex firebox works well and gives the cooker a convection effect.

Mark has got this cooker dialed in pretty well. One question, though.. does the lid stop screw quit loosening with use. Mine loosened up yesterday and I'll re-tighten it, just wondering if I should use some thread lock?
raynchk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Always better if you can have fresh coal obviously. Secondly.....”we don’t need no stinking cubes (badges)”.......get a cheap propane weed burner.....lights first time EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Can someone post a photo of the bub cage loaded and installed in the basket? Thanks fellas
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #19
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
Can someone post a photo of the bub cage loaded and installed in the basket? Thanks fellas
The picture below is not mine. It is from the Friends of Hunsake Smokers Facebook group (link below)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/557199244420576/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33665582_254836978423410_1154916070239240192_n.jpg (57.6 KB, 188 views)

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #20
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastmajordude View Post
Always better if you can have fresh coal obviously. Secondly.....”we don’t need no stinking cubes (badges)”.......get a cheap propane weed burner.....lights first time EVERY TIME!!!!!!!
Yep, but that's two more things that I have to carry with me to competitions

Plus, everyone loves when someone fires one up at 5am

But, they do work very well!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the photos - looks interesting.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #22
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The picture below is not mine. It is from the Friends of Hunsake Smokers Facebook group (link below)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/557199244420576/
My bub cage is here and my Hunsaker is arriving next week. So the starter cubes sit on top of the coals? How many cubes do you typically use?
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote