MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Aldi St. Louis cut ribs?

I've never been in an Aldi but noticed their advert in yesterday's paper. St. Louis cut ribs, never frozen, @ $1.99/#, available 5/22. I thought I might pick up a half-dozen racks to smoke this weekend.

Does anyone have experience with Aldi meats? Their ribs? I'm not sure I can tell very much by just looking at them.

TIA
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

They tasted just fine. They used to do a great job of cutting them, but the last ones I got someone didn't know how to cut St Louis ribs.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

ALDI generally has very good meat...in my opinion of course. I certainly feel like giving it a shot wouldn't be an issue.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #4
BBQNEWBI
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

They're enhanced if they are the same as the baby backs they carry.
BBQNEWBI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

I worked at Aldi for 4 years and got a bunch of different meats from them in that time, ribs included. Everything was always good but like BBQNEWBI says, I believe their ribs are all enhanced.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
I worked at Aldi for 4 years and got a bunch of different meats from them in that time, ribs included. Everything was always good but like BBQNEWBI says, I believe their ribs are all enhanced.
What does enhanced mean?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Have bought ribs from them many times, always a great price, and the ribs have been very good, no complaints!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

I just bought a rack over the weekend, for time 1st time. I was happy with how they turned out.

The rack I bought was "enhanced" with salt/salt-water/etc....per the label, for those that are concerned/prefer not to have enhanced meat.

I have never bought their baby backs, but IIRC, they are also enhanced as BBQNEWBI mentioned earlier.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
What does enhanced mean?
It means the meat is injected with a salt solution to keep it moist (and bump up the weight you're paying for).

It's something packers do to make lower quality meats more tender and juicy.

It's not a huge deal as long as you're aware of it and lower the salt level in your rub to accommodate it, but some folks refuse to cook enhanced meats because there can be differences from one packer to another and that can make the quality of the finished product less predictable (among other reasons).

Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

I'm not sure why the incessant concern about 'enhanced' meat. So they have already been injected with a salt solution. Hell, half the people on this board inject their meats with one thing or another. Now if it is just a warning not to add to the salt already there then I get it. Truthfully, I am more po'ed that enhancement artificially makes the weight higher so you are actually paying more than $1.99 a pound. THAT hidden fraud is irritating.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #11
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

I have cooked a lot of them, when they have this sale I stock up as it is the best price where I am. My family likes the taste.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck finding 6 in stock. That's what kills me about Aldi - every time I've gone to stock up on a sale item they are either sold out or have 1-2 left.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #13
worktogthr
Full Fledged Farker

So I will weigh in on this. One of the reasons people have an issue with enhanced ribs is because they can finish tasting somewhat hammy because the salt solution is essentially curing them in the bag. I had a few racks from aldi that were enhanced and my family enjoyed them. Different, but good. However, I prefer my ribs to not have that hammy taste.
worktogthr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->