BBQ chop box

NC Mike

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After hanging out at a pork butt cooking contest this past Saturday, I decided I should get out to the shop and make a chop box. Used some 1 inch oak I had and bought a piece of yellow pine for the sides. I have not posted a photo before but I will give it a try.

Attachments

• chop box1.jpg
    chop box1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 268
Looks great!

I'm assuming the NC in your handle is North Carolina?

Here is Chris Lilly in action chopping pork. One of my buddies has a portable cutting table with a back splash but no sides, I can see where those would come in handy.

I have to buy another cleaver so I will have "twin cleavers of death". I want another Old Hickory.
Angier is a small town in central North Carolina.

Mike, I'll be curious to see how this works for you. I've got a really nice, thick wooden cutting board that gets the call when I need to do this. I think I'd like to have something along the lines of your project so I don't keep putting big old dings in CINCHOUSE's cutting board...

Looks like a nice project, man.

Nicely built. Are you going to put an oil finish on it, or leave it bare?

Asian markets are great places to find heavy cleavers for not much money.

Nice work! :thumb:

I'm all in for some Carolina chopped pork! :-D

I love the videos I've seen on Q joints chopping pork - two cleavers going at the speed of heat, and the person doing the chopping must have forearms like Popeye. :-D

For a finish on the box I'm going to use a beeswax based paste that I used to use on stuff I produced on the lathe. It's called "salad bowl finish". Works great on wood knife handles and wooden kitchen utensils. I bought it years ago at a woodworking supply store.

For a finish on the box I'm going to use a beeswax based paste that I used to use on stuff I produced on the lathe. It's called "salad bowl finish". Works great on wood knife handles and wooden kitchen utensils. I bought it years ago at a woodworking supply store.

We need pics when you put this box in use. :-D

Nice job on the box.

Much better than the old chopping board I have that tosses pork everywhere.
Of course my dogs enjoy it.

And yes I use dual cleavers.

Once day the rest of the world will figure out that chopped > pulled, for now we’ll keep it our secret ;)

Btw, I used to live in Angier

I've come around to the chopping instead of pulling.

No cleaver but rough cut with a chefs knife- I'm sure there's a textural difference using the cleavers...and a bit more cardio.

Back