30lb of Beef Sausage: Gochujang Habanero, Bulgogi and KC Steak

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After recently making 30lbs of pork and 30lbs of chicken sausage (3types of each) I wanted to swing at all beef sausage again. Made it a bunch of time and mostly always with brisket. This time I'm doing all chuck roll and looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Going to make one fairly spicy with a Gochujang Habanero setup. Loved a pork bulgogi I made the other week so will do a beef version of that and then I have some KC Steak rub from RD that is like a montreal steak.

About to trim up the meat here and get it in the freezer to firm before grinding. I think I'll get all those habanero's in the 10lb batch :-D
i0kMQQDl.jpg

That last sausage post of yours convinced me to buy a proper meat grinder and start trying some of my own. It's a little 5lb per minute LEM unit but it ought to be a big upgrade from the Kitchenaide mixer attachment I have been using. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

That last sausage post of yours convinced me to buy a proper meat grinder and start trying some of my own. It's a little 5lb per minute LEM unit but it ought to be a big upgrade from the Kitchenaide mixer attachment I have been using. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

Ya that will be night and day. The one you have sounds like a version I borrowed from a buddy which is what got me into it. I've only witnessed the kitchenaid in person and it looked like a lot of effort for even medium batches.

I never thought about making homemade sausages until I joined this forum. All this stuff is fascinating and now I'm thinking of buying grinder to try at home.

Jason, have you ever made blood sausage? I want to try making sundae which is Korean blood sausage. https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/nasty-bits-korean-blood-sausage.html#comments-222363
You seem to use lot of Korean flavoring on your BBQ cooks so I'm curious if you ever tried sundae.

I never thought about making homemade sausages until I joined this forum. All this stuff is fascinating and now I'm thinking of buying grinder to try at home.

Jason, have you ever made blood sausage? I want to try making sundae which is Korean blood sausage. https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/nasty-bits-korean-blood-sausage.html#comments-222363
You seem to use lot of Korean flavoring on your BBQ cooks so I'm curious if you ever tried sundae.

I haven't made blood sausage, but have had it. It's decent, but I wouldn't eat it a ton.

We have a great asian market around us so I like getting some of those flavors and almost like them the most over maybe more traditional sausage flavors.

Sometimes when you cut up peppers they don't get you. After cutting off the tops of 4 of these I was coughing. Maybe a little over 1lb of habaneros is a lot for 10lbs?? Thinking of the 1:10 ratio of hot peppers to meat makes it seem high, but my wife told me to not be a pussy so they are all going in :becky:.
a5dxh4Kl.jpg

PwJ5NLtl.jpg

vuBb4j4l.jpg

Your wife is right. Don’t be a pussy!

I figure as long as it is at least 51% meat is shouldn’t be too spicy. Remember, most of the pepper weight is just water.

Tell me how you like the texture of the beef chuck roll. I have tried a couple different all beef sausages using brisket (cause I can just steal them from my walk in at the restaurant) but there always seems to be a grainy texture that I am not crazy about. I just like the texture of pork or chicken sausages better. But I know it is probably an error on my part with the fat ratio or something.

But the wife has just took off to spend the next 4 days at her parents house, so I might have to break out the grinder and make the kitchen a mess. Thanks Jason

Tell me how you like the texture of the beef chuck roll. I have tried a couple different all beef sausages using brisket (cause I can just steal them from my walk in at the restaurant) but there always seems to be a grainy texture that I am not crazy about. I just like the texture of pork or chicken sausages better. But I know it is probably an error on my part with the fat ratio or something.

But the wife has just took off to spend the next 4 days at her parents house, so I might have to break out the grinder and make the kitchen a mess. Thanks Jason

Ya exactly the same issue with brisket for me. It is grainy after cooking. Not enough fat it seems. The fat melts and then just left with grainy meat. I've used some chuck, but maybe like 10%. So all chuck hopefully it is good............or I'll have 30lbs of sausage to give away to a bunch of suckers :caked:

I have 10 lbs left of texas hotlinks with cheddar to give away to suckers, I made them from 5 lbs of SFR brisket and 10 lbs of Compart pork. I'm thinking the grainy texture if from too much fat, kinda like a hamburger patties that won't hold together because of too much fat. But who knows??

Is that your rapidly growing tiny human turning on the grinder?? Or do you have a case of baby arms?? lol

I have 10 lbs left of texas hotlinks with cheddar to give away to suckers, I made them from 5 lbs of SFR brisket and 10 lbs of Compart pork. I'm thinking the grainy texture if from too much fat, kinda like a hamburger patties that won't hold together because of too much fat. But who knows??

Is that your rapidly growing tiny human turning on the grinder?? Or do you have a case of baby arms?? lol

Oh ya. Baby arms all over the place......that sounds weird......but we do have them........:grin:

Back