Any point in turning in at the last minute?

Nugetsius

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been wondering this for a while. Only been in two comps so far but from what I could tell, the entries were taken straight away to the judges. If that is so, is there any point in turning in as late as possible? I once thought it would be to keep everything as warm as you could, but if they go straight to the judges, then this must not be so.

Now I'm wondering if there is some sort of serving order, new judges first, experienced judges last etc.

Anyone have any insight?

TLDR: Why would you turn in your box at the very last second?

Different sanctioning bodies; different procedures. No two are exactly alike. Some vary greatly. In some if you turn your box in early, even though it's taken to the back, it doesnt go directly to judges. Some however, do.

Last edited:
I know that for the SCBA here in South Carolina, turn in times for say pork for instance are usually at 10:00. There is a turn in window that starts 10 minutes before and goes until 10 minutes after. If you turn in your box BEFORE 10 it will sit there until judging starts at 10:00. However, from 10:00 until 10:10 when you turn your box in it goes straight to a judging table. I think it just really depends on the sanctioning body.

When I have table captained KCBS the first turn ins usually go right to the captains table for sorting then get taken to the judges table. For chicken which is the first turn in there should be no delay at all because the captains don't have to check to see if they have had a team number at their table. It really slows down for brisket, which is the last turn in, especially if it is a small contest (25 teams) because the captains have to shuffle boxes back and forth to try to ensure not to duplicate team entries at the table. Most of the contests I have captained also rotate the captains order to balance things out. For example if there are 10 tables then for chicken the captains are in order from 1 to 10. Next entry, ribs, the captains may start with table 3 to 10 and tables 1 & 2 move to the end. Next pork will start with table 5 and so on.

^^^ THAT ^^^

We always try to hit first window. After talking with some judges about how it works "behind the curtain", we discovered that there's not necessarily a direct relation (especially in later meat turn ins) between when you put your box on the table and when it will get to the judges. Some boxes sit longer than others.

After you turn in, it's roll of the dice as to what table it's get to and when.

As close to the middle of the turn-in period as possible.
Too early and it sits until they get enough, too late and it sits until they check for duplicates at tables (they check on all boxes, but slower toward the end).

This is KCBS info. Other contests do it differently. NCBS actually waits until ALL boxes are in before assigning them to a table.

The times I've turned a box in during the last minute, was only because it beats the hell out of turning it in AFTER the last minute.
blank.gif

I know that for the SCBA here in South Carolina, turn in times for say pork for instance are usually at 10:00. There is a turn in window that starts 10 minutes before and goes until 10 minutes after. If you turn in your box BEFORE 10 it will sit there until judging starts at 10:00. However, from 10:00 until 10:10 when you turn your box in it goes straight to a judging table. I think it just really depends on the sanctioning body.

All the contest I have judged, the judging starts when the first whistle blows at 10 till 10 and the boxes go straight to the table, they are judged as they come to the table first one first, last one last.

As mentioned in previous posts. boxes are sent to the tables as quickly as possible and brisket is always slower. Regarding who gets served first, a table can be comprised of a first timer all the way to a judge with 100+ contests so there is no distinction. A Table Captain usually will alternate who starts a box working right to left and then left to right.

I like to be one of the first. Get it there when there's minimal turn-ins, and the reps and volunteers aren't flustered. Good chance to get the right alternate number on there.. also, it'll give me more time if I need it to work on the next category.

Last contest, I saw teams holding their brisky boxes until Newbs showed up. I noticed they all got on the dreaded table 5. :wacko:

Last contest, I saw teams holding their brisky boxes until Newbs showed up. I noticed they all got on the dreaded table 5. :wacko:

At least for KCBS, your boxes are likely to hit the table in turn in order...for chicken. After that they start checking to make sure each box goes to a different table, and the more categories that have been turned in, the less likely it is that the boxes hit the tables in the order in which they were turned in.

Some people do try to be careful about which teams are near them in the turn ins line, but it likely does't matter all that much. I don't think there is a particulate advantage to turning late.

Back