• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition: Who has the best BBQ Sauce.

Yes throw the OP back up, I saw it earlier and did not have time to respond. I will even participate, you won't get the ones I might potentially sell, but I will throw something good into the mix.

Infernoo is not a troll. He's a good bloke.

I kinda thought it was a lot to ask, and that this would have been recieved better if he was a subscriber, able to make friends etc etc. Anyway, don't dogpile him, he's not a theif, just maybe did not understand the full implications of what he was asking. It would be good if you all could show some encouragement so we can have another interested subscribed member.

Thank You... that's enough seriousness from me today....

Cheers!

Bill

Infernoo is not a troll. He's a good bloke.

I kinda thought it was a lot to ask, and that this would have been recieved better if he was a subscriber, able to make friends etc etc. Anyway, don't dogpile him, he's not a theif, just maybe did not understand the full implications of what he was asking. It would be good if you all could show some encouragement so we can have another interested subscribed member.

Thank You... that's enough seriousness from me today....

Cheers!

Bill

Wow Bill that's almost warm and fuzzy.

Admin note:

infernoo, I apologize for not catching this earlier. We would have stopped any potential dogpiling.

Nay-sayers, If you dont like how this is presented, then dont participate.. but more importantly, do NOT call out our members. If you see something that may be awry, use the report post button, state your case and the moderating team will work thorough the issues.

Infernoo, I can restore your original thread. Some members are willing to participate. Its up to you, but my vote is to continue your adventure.

If Bill gets warmed up too much there is gonna be trouble.

A Base Recipe:

4 cups vinegar, I use cider or rice vinegar
1/2 piece of nutmeg coarsely crushed
8 to 10 peppercorns, lightly cracked
5 whole cloves, lightly cracked
2 bay leaves cracked in quarters
1/8 stick cinnamon

Slowly simmer vinegar until reduced to +/- 3 cups, add aromatics and reduce to +/- 2 cups. This should appear a little syrupy. Filter and cool. Filtering must be done hot, do not inhale.

2 cups red wine, I prefer Merlot for this. Any red wine that is not really tannic would work, whatever wine you choose, the flavor will be enhanced. An Aussie GSM would be great.

Reduce by slowly simmering to 1/2 cup, should be syrupy.

Combine the vinegar reduction with the wine reduction. You should have 2-1/2 cups more or less. Add:

1/4 cup Worcestershire or fish sauce
1/2 cup liquid sweetener (honey, malt syrup, agave syrup, medium syrup, corn syrup)
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Adjust sweetness for taste. I prefer a lighter sweetness and will often go with light honey. Heat the vinegar, wine and sweeteners to combine and reduce. You should end up with 3 cups of sauce. This is my base that I add other flavorings to.

Things I add...ketchup, molasses, prepared mustard, bourbon

And, by the way infernooo and to others, the sauces I listed above we actually use
in competitions. I've also posted what we use for rubs. Not that I've won so much
that anyone is salivating to shig my stuff. The truth is that even if we make the
exact same rubs and sauces, we'll end up applying them in different amounts and at
different times and using different amounts of smoke and cooking at different temps
that the barbecue will always taste different.

Glean what you can and enjoy making sauces, infernooo.

I didn't see the OP, but I think it's a shame that it turned out this way. It looks like he was asking for sauce recipes, right? Don't we share recipes all the time? Come on guys, you made SmokinAussie get serious for a bit...that should show you something's wrong.

Infernoo, if I had a sauce recipe, I'd share it...I just beg Big Brother Smoke to sell me some of his... LOL

Big Brother Smoke’s All Purpose BBQ Sauce

256 oz. Ketchup (2 cans)
¼ cup your favorite rub (I use Sweet and Spicy)
1 quart Apple Sauce
10 oz. Apple Butter
1 cup Apple Cider
2 cup Apple Juice
1 cup Honey
¼ Garlic Powder
1/ 4 cup Onion Powder
1/8 cup Oregano
1/8 Thyme
½ cup Yellow Mustard
1/8 cup red pepper flakes

Bring to a boil and let sit in the pot for about 12 hours or until cool before storing.

This is a good base sauce and you can doctor it easily (I always do based on my mood) with brown sugar for more of a sweetner; cayenne for heat; red food color or caramel food color for more of a mahogony thing. If you need more smoke flavor use cumin not liquid choke, I mean liquid smoke.:thumb:

Big Brother Smoke’s All Purpose BBQ Sauce

256 oz. Ketchup (2 cans)
¼ cup your favorite rub (I use Sweet and Spicy)
1 quart Apple Sauce
10 oz. Apple Butter
1 cup Apple Cider
2 cup Apple Juice
1 cup Honey
¼ Garlic Powder
1/ 4 cup Onion Powder
1/8 cup Oregano
1/8 Thyme
½ cup Yellow Mustard
1/8 cup red pepper flakes

Bring to a boil and let sit in the pot for about 12 hours or until cool before storing.

This is a good base sauce and you can doctor it easily (I always do based on my mood) with brown sugar for more of a sweetner; cayenne for heat; red food color or caramel food color for more of a mahogony thing. If you need more smoke flavor use cumin not liquid choke, I mean liquid smoke.:thumb:

naw, not that one, post your comp sauce!!! :becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::thumb:

Come on guys, you made SmokinAussie get serious for a bit...that should show you something's wrong.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't see the OP either. I agree, though, with the thoughts that this got pretty serious pretty quick. What's wrong with asking for sauce recipes? Seems like he's been pretty straight up to me.

.....buncha meanies!:boxing:

I'll play!

MY all time favorite sauce is a South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce.
I can't claim it....it's from Steve Raichlen's BBQ USA. I LOVE mustard/vinegar based sauces.

1 tbs butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs hot sauce (I use Tobasco usually, or other "Louisiana style" sauce
1/2 cup water
Course salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan.
Add onion and garlic and cook intil soft, but NOT brown (about 3 min).
Stir in mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and hot sauce and water.
Let simmer, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 10 min.
Taste for seasoning, add S&P or more hot sauce to taste.
Let sauce cool to room temp before serving (I don't usually do this).
Yields about cups.

The only other thing I like to do regularly is to just jeat up some Sweet Baby Ray's and add some ground cayenne and white vinegar to give it some "snap". That's good stuff as well.

Other than that....it's Famous Dave's out of the bottle or "stock" SBR's.

This one is a one my son likes I spice mine up with a drop of Blair 2 am

Kansas City Style BBq Sauce Style

2 cups water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Add Heat to your level of tolerance

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and whisk until smooth.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes or until mixture is thick.
3. Cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight so that flavors can develop.
Makes 2 cups.

I have made this one a couple times, got it from one of Steven Raichlen's books. If you like to drink the bourbon whisky then this one is for you. I am a scotch man myself but this sauce still tastes pretty good. One suggestion I have is don't put crap whisky in it. If you aint gonna drink it then dont cook with it.

From Barbecue! Bible : Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes ~ Steven Raichlen
STILL HOUSE BARBECUE SAUCE

• 1 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup onion, very finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and briskly simmer, uncovered, until richly flavored and slightly thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several months. Makes about 4 cups.
Brush this sauce on ribs, chicken, or pork during the last 10 minutes of cooking. And serve plenty of it on the side.

Back