MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Bandera found on side of road...

I was out driving today and saw an NB Bandera next to someones driveway with a sign asking $50 cash for it. Nobody was home at the time. It looked to be in great shape except for one thing... One of the hinges on the firebox lid was broken and the lid sat just a bit cockeyed resulting in a gap where heat could escape. I'm thinking this can be fairly easily corrected, and except for that it was in really good shape. Got the number and plan on going back by shortly.

Stupid question I'm sure, but does this sound like a good deal? Compared to the price of a newer one, it's practically a steal but it has that slight damage...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fire box hinges will seize up and break unless oiled occasionaly. Same with the smoke box door. I wipe my SKD down with veggie oil (canola, low in saturated fats) every cook. Scoop that sucker if it's not completely rusted. It's worth the effort to repair a hinge.

One can never have too many cookers!

Old 07-16-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Jump on it Chris, the hinge repair won't be diddly and you'll have a cooker that's better than a new one!!!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
bigabyte

Thanks for the advice on the hinges. I think this guy didn't know that. I had trouble with the latches seeming a little stuck, so it could probably just use some lube. I thought it seemed like a great deal myself and was planning on getting it. I forgot to mention that it's really in great shape outside and in, no major rust areas. Most rust was inside, particularly on the grates. A little cleaning and some TLC and this baby should be as good as new as you can get with a smoker!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
big brother smoke

Touchdown!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

What a good deal. If it had been me I would have left a check in their mailbox. I bought an estate sale Bandera that was an old "Made in Texas" model. It had only been used twice and I paid $250 for the thing, and I thought I got a great deal. Gave my old one to a friend that really likes it. The hinge repair should be nothing if you get it for $50. Happy smoking.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
bigabyte

I called the guy right after my last post and got through. He said I could take it for $40 if I was willing to drop the money in the mailbox and haul it away.

I'm now the pround new owner of a Bandera. I'm pretty sure it took a tumble or was invovled in some sort of accident. The one hinge left on the lid was twisted, and I simpl,y twisted it back to straight. However, the bar that runs through the hinges is close to the firebox on one end causing the lid to not close down without a 1/4" gap. I'll deal with that later, maybe have to redo the whole hinge mechanism. The thermo appears original, it say New Braunfels Smoker but needs some attention or replacing. It is tacked out at 500 even though it's a cozy 72 in the garage. The paint is in good condition, and only minor surface rust on a spot on top of the firebox and a arc shaped scratch where the lid was scraping against the cooker as it was lifted. The ash door on the side isn't closing all the way either, I think it may be ever so slightly out of square. This further causes me to think it fell over or something. I can probably fix that one with a little brute strength. The rest of the unit is in great shape and the paint on the cooker still looks good. The red New Braunfels Smoker Company lettering and design is in really great shape. Now if I can just figure out about when this thing was made, since it appears to be pre-Char-Broil.

Duh.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Brauma

$40 for a used & slightly abused Dera is a deal. Enjoy.

Now you can add another smoker to your signature.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

Great choice on your purchase. Major "bang for the buck" decision.
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 AM   #10
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

He shoots and scores!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

Gol! A little hammer work and a new hinge and you're in high cotton!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Real nice score. Congrats!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
bigabyte

I have looked at the Bandera 101, all the mods in the files section, and scoured the forum for Bandera themed threads (lots of them of course ). So before I begin my little project, these are the questions I have. I figure this is the BEST place to get these answers...

The unit did not have its water pan. Do I need one or will a heat shield and firebrick do a good enough trick? If I need the firepan, will a regular Brinkmann water pan or charcoal pan fit?

I'm looking at the Silicon Gasket mod, anybody have any problems with that one? It looks like the simplest and best option.

I saw a photo in the photos section of a Bandera with an extended stack. Is this a common mod that wasn't listed, or is this something just one or two people do for local ordinances? I know longer stacks can make a better draw which is why I'm asking.

What's with all the funny names for the Banderas? Was this an inside gag or something? I saw references to StudeDera and YesDera for example. do I need to Christen this thing with a name and a bottle of Jack or something?

Duh.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte
What's with all the funny names for the Banderas? Was this an inside gag or something? I saw references to StudeDera and YesDera for example. do I need to Christen this thing with a name and a bottle of Jack or something?
Mine is just called "the queer". It's a BSKD which has the fire box on the "wrong" side.

I did the door gasket mod with fiberglass rope and when it got crispy and fell off I decided it didn't do all that much anyway so I left it off. Fire grate raised is first and foremost in my book. Heat deflector from firebox to smoke box is almost as important. Fire bricks definately help, definately. There is a notation somewhere around here regarding the sizes of the Bandera vs Brinkmann water pan, but I can't find it. If Mr Smoker doesn't see this shoot him a PM. He has a unique set up of both, side by side.

Hope you got a big woodpile. They realy don't take that much fuel once you get the hang of fire control on this type of cooker, but the learning curve was long for me.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #15
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

The Brinkman water pan is 1/2" deeper,same dia.both units cook about the same with the mods.The grates are the same size,i like the slide out water pan on the Brinkman but the doors shut better on the 'Dera.I save the oil from french frier and give the a good coating if the start to look a little rusty.Keeps them looking new and they smell good when you fire'em upBTW get a Spicewine basket & thermometer it makes a difference.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera

Last edited by MrSmoker; 07-17-2006 at 06:51 PM..
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote