• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need help on a new purchase

I would say 26.75 Weber Kettle. Smoke, Grill. It will do it all!

+1 on the 26.75 Weber Kettle Grill simply awesome.. This grill does it all and the warranty plus great customer support and its a no brainer.:decision:

I see those performers on sale right now at best buy too.

I loved my gasser. Get off work and fire it up with the press of a button, in less than 10 minutes it is ready to sear. Of course, I've never used a quality charcoal either.

I have both a propane and coal vertical smoker, the propane smoker never gets used.

The closest thing I ever had to a kamado was when I first started smoking I built one out of a terra cotta pot. I saw the design on good eats. I made mine a little better.

That thing held heat and cooked so well, I've been looking for that experience ever since. I cracked during a move otherwise it would still be burning.

Buy a Weber Kettle then use the extra $ to buy accessories i.e. rotisserie, stoker or whatever you like. I use my kettles to do it all, I also have a UDS which gets a heavy workout also. IMO Weber gets the nod for most versatile for the $...

I recently bought a $35.00 weber smokey joe gold and I kid you not when I tell you that it blows the genesis out of the water when it comes to grilling! I was a non-believer, but can honestly tell you that, now that I'm confident and proficient with charcoal, I can't see myself firing up the genesis anytime in the near future.

I completely agree. I'd rather have the cheapest of charcoal grills than use a gasser. I use mine maybe once or twice a year at that, and the food is just better off the wood/coal flames.

I absolutely love my Akorn! Mine sealed VERY well straight out of the box but a lot of people do mod them a little bit to make them better. Once I put mine in the new table it tweaked just a littly bit but using the latch made the seal for me. For the price range it's hard to argue with. I switched from propane to charcoal and haven't looked back. Sure I miss the convenience a little bit of instant hot and right to temp but the taste just can't be beat.

GO TO THE USPS. Get a change of address packet and there is a 10% off coupon in there. It's good for use on the Akorn.

What are your experiences with smoking on the Akorn?? I like a lot of smoke flavor in my meat. With my ECB I throw split logs on top of charcoal as I cook. As efficiently as the Akorn burns fuel, I just wonder if the wood will burns enough. placement of wood is probably more vital.

I don't know. Thoughts from Akorn users?

I love smoke on mine too and have a pretty good stock pile of Oak. At 250-275 it will smoke non stop. At 220-230 it will smoke and slowly die after 2-3 hours out which actually works out real with ribs and what not. At 250+ I can really piss off my next door neighbor!:laugh:

@trumpstyle.........you wish the akorn had a propane starter?? You drop a starter cube in and light it.

Now, that's difficult.

The home depots and lowes in my area stopped selling the performer with the gas start

It only takes 10-15 minutes to get the performer fire to GRILLING temp? Is it the David Blaine model?

Last edited by a moderator:
It only takes 10-15 minutes to get the performer fire hot enough to grill? Is it the David Blaine model?

Yes, you can be cooking in very little time when using lump and a propane start.

And its the David Copperfield model.

I would buy the acorn and take the extra hundred and buy a used weber gasser on craigslist. The older models can be had for a good price.

I would buy the acorn and take the extra hundred and buy a used weber gasser on craigslist. The older models can be had for a good price.
Thats sort of where I am. Even the kettles can be found cheap on CL, especially here in a military town.

They always seem to pop up in droves when I don't have money though.

I appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like the Akorn is the way to go. Other than the bottom vent airleak (which frankly, I am not worried about) I haven't found a bad review.

Picking it up Friday after work, season it friday night, so it is ready for a Pork shoulder on Saturday.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but John Setzler (of mancavemeals fame) has an excellent site kamadoguru.com devoted to all things kamado. The Akorn section has a ton of great info, check it out if you do pull the trigger on the Akorn.

And mods, if I've broken protocol by referencing another site please remove this. Mea culpa.

Oh ya spent a lot of time on Kamadoguru.com , that is where I first discovered them. Watched all his videos on the Akorn.

Picking it up Friday after work, season it friday night, so it is ready for a Pork shoulder on Saturday.

Have you decided whether to get the classic one with the two small flip up tables at lowes, or the new performer style side table at HD?

Thats sort of where I am. Even the kettles can be found cheap on CL, especially here in a military town.

They always seem to pop up in droves when I don't have money though.

I appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like the Akorn is the way to go. Other than the bottom vent airleak (which frankly, I am not worried about) I haven't found a bad review.

Sweet I can house your akorn at my place, or at least give the pork shoulder a place to cool down at on saturday. I'll PM you my address! :becky:

You folks weren't kidding!!! I picked up the Akorn on Friday and cured it Friday night. I made my first mistake and didn't let the coals completely light before sealing it and opening the vents. after it took an hour to climb to 80 degrees, I opened the lid and waited a few minutes, then I saw the beast unleash!. I sealed the top and watched it climb to 600 real quick. I seasoned it at the high temperature for about an hour before I started playing with some different things. mainly vent control and dome thermometer accuracy. A "dry run" if you will on my new cooker before I attempted a 10 lb shoulder.

By the time Saturday morning rolled around, I lit the grill with confidence. I loaded it with a few pounds of Cowboy lump (best I can find) and 2 splits, one pecan and one hickory.

Once I was confident enough of the fuel was lit, i closed the lid and opened vents all the way. When the temp rose to about 200 according to my Maverick Et-73 (not dome Thermometer) I closed vents all the way to stall the rise. It stopped rising at about 276. I knew I would lose some residual heat when i put the meat on, so I decided to put it on at that temperature. sure enough, I lost about 60 degrees when I opened the lid and put the shoulder on.

Finally, I opened the top and bottom a hair and had no problem maintaining temps between 230-260 for 11 hour cook. Very minimal adjustments and those vents are touchy. In that time, I was confident enough to go to my daughter's basketball game, take my family and friend out to eat and run various errands in prep for my bbq the next day.

I only opened the dome once during cooking and that was to flip the shoulder. I cooked on the warming rack with a dollar tree foil pan punched with pin holes acting as a heat diffuser.

I went with the standard Akorn. Couldn't find the new performer style and I think I prefer the mobility of the older model.

I grilled some chicken breasts for dinner the next day and a small 4 lb brisket is on the menu for Thursday.

Thanks to all the brethren for invaluable feedback in helping me make this decision. Next up, on the lookout for a weber kettle.

Last edited:
Back